We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

11 posts
Save Topic
Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

Hi,

I know its not recommended to do these 2 spots in one day but I just want to check how much of Road to Hana I can cover if I want to see sunset at Haleakala on the same day.

I can leave around 8 am from Lahaina and am not interested in driving Road to Hana all the way. I might just drive half of it and turn back ( Any good spot I can turn back from ? ) to drive to Haleakala from there say, around 2pm. So that gives me 6 hours to cover Road to Hana from the time I leave from Lahaina. Is this possible ?

I am just checking if its feasible to avoid doing Road to Hana and Haleakala on separate days, which would mean a lot of back and forth driving from Lahaina.

Mentioned in this post
Molokini and Turtle Arches Snorkeling...
141 Reviews
US$111 per adult
Free Cancellation
Molokini Sail and Snorkel Adventure
150 Reviews
US$118 per adult
Free Cancellation
Molokini and Turtle Town Snorkeling...
78 Reviews
US$80 per adult
Free Cancellation
22 replies to this topic
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

Realistically, no it's not feasible

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,680 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

I just bumped your other thread about this,

https:/…92083446

And still think trying to do both in one day is too much. Leaving Lahaina at 8 means you will get to Twin Falls around 10 or 10:30. Then Keanae would be another hour at least. Then 3 hours back to Paia and up to the summit. Then 2 1/2 hours back to Lahaina........

Edited: 23 May 2018, 03:13
Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Twin Falls Maui
Twin Falls Maui
338 Reviews
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Wollongong...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

You won't be doing either justice and certainly not going at Maui pace. So many do the road to Hana & back in a day but I did it with my family last Sept. and stayed overnight just past Hana, savouring Huli Huli chicken at sunset and enjoying mangoes from the tree behind the accommodation along with lunch (both there and back) at Aunty Sandy's Banana bread at Ke'Anae. Watching the turtles and eagle rays at Waianapanapa black sand beach, which has it's own lava tube, was also a highlight. My no-regrets policy was intact doing it this way, if you do it half-baked you will always wish you had done it right. Jonno from down under.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Huli Huli Chicken
Huli Huli Chicken
232 Reviews
Maui, HI
Aunty Sandy's
Aunty Sandy's
360 Reviews
Maui, HI
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

@AkamaiNick4SW, Oh Thanks a lot ! Thanks for the detailed break up of time as well. That helps.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

Thanks TRbeer.

Thanks Jonnofromdownunder for sharing your experience.

Wollongong...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

No worries. The reason I did it overnight is that a friend of mine married a Maui local and he gave me the low-down, otherwise I would have probably gone the 1 day express and missed out too.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,302 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

Omkar .... once you see Maui, these comments/advice will make more sense.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

If you drive to Hana, then complete the loop around the backside, you will be at the base of the access road. It's then just a relatively short drive to the top.

I now expect the usual suspects to say you can't drive a rental car on the backside, which plenty of people do, thus depriving you of scenic vistas.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

Omkar: Just to clarify what Roger has suggested - if you do the route he suggests, by the time you reach the road to go up Haleakala, you will have been driving for approximately 6 hours ...maybe more (not including time for stops - which you'd probably want about 3 or more hours for). The 'relatively short drive to the top' is actually another hour of driving. Then you'd have 2 or more hours of driving back to Lahaina.

Besides the issue of 9 or so hours of driving time (and likely not making it up to the summit in time for sunset) you could be violating your car rental contract on the 'back side drive' because of unpaved sections of road (best to read your car rental terms and conditions re this).

If you are choosing between the RTH and Haleakala - Haleakala gets my vote - the view into the crater is spectacular! The drive up and down provides great views too. If you enjoy hiking, spend some time hiking a short distance into the crater.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 14:29
Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina

The other piece besides it not saving time and voiding contract, is that it is closed most days right now anyways for construction.

Reply to: Road to Hana & Haleakala on same day From Lahaina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted