We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Washington
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Which company have you found has the best rates? How far in advance should I book? We'll be there in mid August . . . book now or will prices be better during a specific time between now and August?

Thanks for you input!

11 replies to this topic
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

Go to www.discounthawaiicarrental.com and make a no-obligation reservation. Then keep checking back for better deals. Also check Costco, if youʻre a member. These sites are the ones many of us here use.

Washington
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

Will do - thanks so much for your super quick response!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

Check out Costco online

We've gotten our lowest cost rentals in Hawaii, Arizona, Florida, Oregon and Alaska from Costco

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Costco
Costco
95 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

We will also be there in mid-August. We booked our car through Costco many months ago and got a rate that I thought was somewhat high. Since then, however, the rate for our car has more than doubled. We were in Maui in August of 2016 and in the months leading up to that trip, I would regularly re-check my car rental rate and was able to re-book several times at lower rates. Not so much for this August trip. The rates went was up after I initially booked and they have remained quite steady since then.

My advice is the same as the advice others on this great site have offered.... Book now and keep checking back in hopes of obtaining a lower rate. Costco and Discount Hawaii Car Rental will almost always provide the best rates.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Temecula, California
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

I found AAA to have the best car rental rates.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

@quadriders, Iʻm curious. Did you try DHCR?

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

I’ve used them before when I went to Kauai 9 years ago. I will check it out and see what they have to offer. Thanks for the information.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

Iʻm really curious to know if AAA beats DHCR rates.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental

I’m currently on my third trip to Maui and each trip I’ve been able to book a car for 15 days at less than $300 total for the whole trip. The middle trip I used Costco but the first and third trips I used DHCR. This trip especially, Costco couldn’t come anywhere close to DHCR and were more than double at their cheapest. First two trips (5 and 2 years ago) I was in the low $280’s but this trip I’m at $291 and that’s for 15 days, all taxes in but I had to check sometimes multiple times per day to get those rates.

Edited: 24 May 2018, 03:52
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental

Try autoslash.com. About a year ago, I ran across a thread on this great forum that mentioned autoslash. We'd previously found the best Maui car rental rates through Costco.

On my very first visit to autoslash, Avis and Dollar rates for the 2 cars we needed were several hundred $$ less than Costco or DHCR. I luckily booked both family rentals for early 2018, fully expecting to later cancel them when a lower price appeared. I continued to check rates for the next 7-8 months, and nothing ever came close to those initial quotes (even autoslash never got that low again).

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted