We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

We are planning our first trip to Maui and would really like to stay at Napili Kai. We are coming from the Midwest so March is our first choice since the weather here is usually still chilly and wet and we would also love to do some whale watching. However, if we are much better off weather wise to go in April our schedules are flexible. We are interested in snorkeling, etc which is a bit why I am concerned about the weather. If it makes a difference we would either go the last week in March or the last week in April. Thanks for any insight!

12 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
1. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

I would say weather wise the later the better if you want want warmer weather

We usually go late spring and fall and early summer we have good weather where we live so it is easy for me to say

But we went this past March, coldest trip ever to Maui, most people wearing sweat shirts and that was a main topic of conversation

Hotel pools are not heated for the most part so they have had all winter to chill down were bit uncomfortable, Ocean was chilly

Also still high season rate wise

By the end of March whales are thinning out and this year there was a low whale count and we did not see much activity from shore, didn't do a boat trip. In my opinion I would not base an entire vacation on that, there are cheaper, warmer places for whale watching although the humpbacks are magnificent for sure.

You could hit a warm gorgeous week for sure in March but in March you are coming out of the winter storm season on Maui, so I play the odds

Good luck

Edited: 23 May 2018, 17:10
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

This last spring on Maui was exceptionally cold and wet in both March and April.

The year we won’t in March we had good weather staying in Kapalua. We did have a terrible time getting to Hawaii, though and missed our first day on Kauai. Our weather at home was perfect, but Vhicago had a big spring snowstorm coming and everything around the Midwest was cancelled or delayed. Our little airport was a huge mess with many, many unhappy people. The staff was great, but told us that spring break in March is ALWAYS the worst time there because of weather somewhere.

The next 4 years we traveled to Maui at Christmas time and had no troubles at all.

The whales were great in March, but they will be there in early April too. I’d go the first week of April if you can. Easter is at the end of the month, so I’d avoid that.

Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
3. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

I know it sounds odd but due to my work I can only be gone the last two weeks of any given month. And you have a good point about Easter being the week we would go in April. Is April still the best time? I certainly don't want cold/wet weather if I can avoid it. Thank you

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
4. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

Weather wise May and Oct are probably the best weather months we have found over many trips

We were on Maui over this past 4th of July and the weather was great.

Aug/Sept can get hot, muggy, voggy and hurricane season can be active

Edited: 23 May 2018, 17:53
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
5. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

Weather wise May and Oct are probably the best weather months we have found over many trips

We were on Maui over this past 4th of July and the weather was great.

Aug/Sept can get hot, muggy, voggy and hurricane season can be active

Edited: 23 May 2018, 17:53
Maui
Level Contributor
72,190 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

I agree that May is a great time to visit. It's normally less crowded, though at the end of the month there is a bump from Memorial Day travelers.

Spring breaks run for 2 full months now. Both March and April have steady streams of people, so I wouldn't say either varies much overall. Easter week itself is a little busier, but not like it once was.

Cotati
Level Contributor
442 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

Every response is speaking about the best weather months on Maui, but I suggest you keep in mind what I believe your initial question was: what month would have the best weather DIFFERENTIAL between your home and Maui.

I think Maui March weather would not be significantly worse than April, but I bet your home March weather would be significantly worse than your April weather.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

Given your parameters if seeing the humpback whales is a priority go in March. Weather can be iffy and there will be bigger crowds but I think the whales are worth it. If not a priority go at the end of April, fight the Easter crowds and have a better chance of drier weather. Of course even April can be wet, no guarantees!!

Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
9. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

Has anyone been in late March to the Napili area? What was your experience weather wise? Would you again that time of year?

Maui
Level Contributor
72,190 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?

I've lived in NW Maui for 15 years :-), not far from Napili and up above it.

This March was cloudier and cooler-even though the rains weren't really unusual. It just *seemed* wetter in many places, because we had so much cloudy grey weather all over Maui.

Normally March is pretty darn nice all over Maui. This year was the greyest March and April I have ever seen in all my years of living and visiting Maui.........which says a lot since I used to live in Wailuku!

Reply to: 9 Day Maui Trip - Should we go in March or April?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted