We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

Astoria
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

Has anybody heard of a tour company called Project Expedition? I've done a Trip Advisor search and found no mention of them (all I get are articles/reviews that have "project" and "expedition" in the text), yet my friend's new travel agency works with the company and one of the things posted on their site is "With over 70 years of experience, we are the largest tour and transportation provider in the State of Hawaii. We strive to meet your vacation expectations and are committed to providing you quality tours at a great value." I can share their tour ID number if that helps. I'd like to support my friend's business, but wouldn't want to book a tour with a company that's provided questionable service to TA members. Thanks for your input!

18 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
71,954 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

I hadn't, and it comes up readily in Google for me.

Just a quick view doesn't impress me a lot. It's showing whale watch tours year round, for example. They are basically a consolidator/reseller as best as I could tell from the quick scan.

They certainly haven't been doing Hawaii for 70 years, nor do I believe the claim that they are the "largest"--unless they are speaking of those numbers from *all* of their tours all over.

Astoria
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

Edit to my post: I'm wondering if Project Expedition is an umbrella organization as the quotation I included above is from one tour entry, while another (with a different tour ID #) says, "We are the state’s largest employee-owned and operated full-service transportation and activities company. We deliver first-class transportation, personalized Hawaii sightseeing tours, and quality activities on the islands of Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island. We are proud to be a kama‘aina company that continues to be a part of our community and visitor industry for over 75 years."

If this company's a middleman for a variety of tour groups, wouldn't it make sense for me to search for the original groups and see if their direct rates are cheaper?

Maui
Level Contributor
71,954 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

Yes, you nailed it!

I would always rec booking things with the actual company, not a reseller. You will have better cancellation/refund policies, less hassles, and not need to deal with a third party if there are issues.

Tell us what you are looking at and we can give you companies to consider.

Cotati
Level Contributor
433 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

cheaper, or more available. Many companies don't release all their slots to re sellers.

Astoria
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

Thanks, AkamaiNick4SW and Ralphael17tb! Here's the scoop on my situation:

My husband and I will be staying in Kaanapali from July 30-Aug. 9 (flying home early on the 10th) for our wedding anniversary. We're healthy adults in our early 50s, eager to explore and do some moderate hiking and lots of walking, but not interested in snorkeling or zip-lining.

We'd like to do a Road to Hana tour as well as a Haleakala National Park tour, but probably not a sunrise one -- we manage to be sort-of morning people due to the 5-hour time difference from NYC, but getting up to see the sunrise would be rough for us night-owls.

Hotel/area pick-up would be best as we won't have a car (we'll likely do a 1 or 2-day rental late in our trip but prefer to use public transportation and walk places when possible so we have money to spend on other things, such as tours).

We'll probably do a sunset sail via Trilogy or Teralani as I saw others on TA recommend those companies.

Mahalo!

Maui
Level Contributor
71,954 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

It's six hours difference--we don't do DST.

For Haleakala, I would drive yourselves on one of the car days. The tours are $$$$$ for it, sunrise or not. You can enjoy more if you do it on your own.

For Hana, look at Valley Isle Excursions. Super good people and company.

Where are you staying? That makes a difference for recs of hikes and such.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

Astoria! I LOVE Astoria!

** You need a car. Reserve it now.

<<We'd like to do a Road to Hana tour as well as a Haleakala National Park tour>>. Take a tour for one ... and drive to the other. Temptation Tours and Valley Isle are both recommended here generally. Reserve soon, as you are traveling during a very busy time.

How about sunset at Haleakala?

Public transportation doesn't cut it on Maui. You're right - this trip is an investment ... so don't strand yourselves. Reserve a car now (the prices will only go up) and give yourself the flexibility you will want and need.

<<We'll probably do a sunset sail via Trilogy or Teralani>> Make sure to book in advance. Like now.

I recommend that you rough-out a draft agenda - and make a new post like "Take a Look at Our Itinerary." Also, scroll down this Forum and you'll see the draft itineraries from others.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 22:34
Astoria
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

We'll be at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn -- yeah, I've seen the other posts about it being less than ideal, that it was built to house the employees of the other hotels, but we only need the room to sleep in not to be a home-away-from-home, and we'll be able to use the connected hotel's pools and other amenities.

I've got a map showing the bus routes that cover the west and SW coast of Maui (Kapalua, Lahaina, Ma'alena, Kihei, and Wailea) with connections to Wailuku, Kahului, Pukalani, Pa'ia, Ha'iku, Makawao, Kula, and other locations. That's a lot to explore for only $4 for a daily pass per person!

I expect I'll do an itinerary post next month to get more feedback, but in the meantime I appreciate what's being shared here. Mahalo!

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,208 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

https:/…

It looks like the “70 years of experience...” quote is about Roberts Hawaii. As you’ve found, Project Expedition is just a middleman. It makes no sense to me that your feiend’s company would book through them. Why not book directly with Roberts or the other providers they sell? Another example of why using these forums and using that knowledge to book on your own is a much better path than using a travel agent.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,954 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?

You are in a good spot to go mostly "car-less". I would def do the car for Haleakala, as I said before.

Reply to: Has anybody heard of Project Expedition?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted