We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day Maui Itinerary, July

12 posts
Save Topic
7 day Maui Itinerary, July

My family and I will be traveling to Maui, July 8-July 15. We are hoping to snorkel, swim, take the Road to Hana, see the sunrise at Haleakala Crater and take in a luau, plus other things. We are looking for a relaxing schedule to do all this in and would welcome suggestions on how to arrange this and what other things we should do.. We are staying at the Honua Kai Resort near Lahaina on Kaanapali Beach in a condo and plan to cook most meals, probably eat out once a day. We are a family of five with our kids ages 21, 18 and 15. We will have a rental car and are staying on Maui the entire time. We get in at 5pm on the 18th and leave at 10pm on the 15th. I know you all give great advice, so tell me what I absolutely HAVE to do on this once in a lifetime trip with my family! GO!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Haleakala Crater
Haleakala Crater
6,965 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,381 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,733 Reviews
Maui, HI
10 replies to this topic
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

OK, Family of five, staying West Maui for 7 nights in July. Your plans will have you driving across the island four times -- six times if you are flying via OGG. There are a lot of other fun things to see and do that will not require so much 'windshield time'. (It's at least an hour each way from the Honua Kai to Kahului, home to OGG and where you begin the all-day Road to Hana adventure and trip up Haleakala.) I'd choose ONE of these adventures. Do you have reservation for Haleakala Sunrise? If you're flying into Maui from another island, you might fly into JHM, not OGG, and save that drive.

There's shopping, hiking, snorkeling, snorkeling excursions, the Whalers Village mall, Lahaina Town and more -- all in West Maui. You could take a day to drive to South Maui -- also about an hour -- to try South Kihei and Wailea beaches, walk the Wailea beach path, visit Shops At Wailea, see Big Beach, snorkel, and view the lava fields from Haleakala's last eruption (1700's is best guess). The Maui Ocean Center is at Maalaea in South Maui, too.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,381 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Wailea Beach Path
Wailea Beach Path
457 Reviews
Maui, HI
Big Beach
Big Beach
250 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,239 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

You don't 'have' to do anything except have a good time. Ignore the people back home who may load their opinions into your actions.

So lets take the specifics that you mentioned (Hana, Haleakala) , plus relaxation.

Don't plan anything July 9th, go to see sunrise on the 10th whilst you are still on mainland time and can better handle being on the road by 2:30aam - can the teens get up in time for that. You should arrive there one hour before sunrise for the best effects and best parking spot.

You need reservations as ChiSue mentioned, get them now.

Take a day rest and go to Hana on July 12th - or later depending on weather. Leave by 6am, go all the way to the Pipiwai trail hike and then drive back north, stopping at various sites. Again, read the Top Questions for ideas on where to stop.

Otherwise there is plenty to do close to your accommodation so that you can keep to your plan of cooking in that big Honua Kai kitchen and eating on the large lanai. You have some of Maui's best snorkeling 10 minutes down the beach- walk past Nanea next door and when you get to the start of the next resort, enter the water there and swim south.

Check out this link for a huge variety of hiking: -

https:/…hiking-trails

Everything from the beautiful coastal stroll to challenging hikes

Maui Ocean Center is worth a trip, and the good news is that it is not in South Maui but only 30 minutes drive . ChiSue wants to move everything to South Maui to be near her condo :-)

Edited: 23 May 2018, 22:07
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,075 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,381 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,239 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

I agree with that short of time...your 7 days will fly...I would either do the crater or the RtH. What do your kids think? My grandkids (much younger) would have been bored all day in the car on the RtH. While my husband and I appreciate its beauty and uniqueness, it would not have entertained my kids as teenagers but yours may be different. The crater, on the other hand, would have been a big draw at sunrise for them. Plus, it does not take up an entire day and you can have a nice breakfast afterwards...and maybe get a morning nap back at the condo before heading out to the beach.

We also stayed at Honua Kai and loved it!! Our first week was just husband and myself and we stayed in Wailea and explored south Maui - beautiful. But once the adult kids and grandkids arrived we stayed on the West side. So much to do, so many great restaurants, fun beaches to visit - and we had 14 days on that side without ever returning to the South. We just didn't want a lot of car time and what we had, we used for exploring Central Maui.

We really liked breakfast at Sea House in Kapalua (Napili Bay) and went to the beach there after breakfast a couple times. We did the Kapalua Coastal Trail - beautiful!

We took a trip to 'Iao Valley State Park (just a day before the flood of September 2016) - nice trails.

We visited lots of different beaches on the West side and north of Kapalua. The beach in front of Honua Kai is quite narrow but you can swim or snorkel to the Westin next door.

We rented a pool cabana for a few different days at Honua Kai which was great for having a resort day and just using the nearby beach plus the beautiful pools at the resort. Getting pool service in the cabana from Duke's was great.

For shopping we went into the town of Lahaina for dinner at Fleetwood's, a little shopping and ice cream. We have big shopping centers where we are from so that was enough shopping for us.

For a dinner splurge I'd go to Merriam's (short drive from Honua Kai). Enjoy drinks and appetizers at the Point Bar for sunset, then have dinner inside the restaurant. We also went to Mama's Fish House for lunch which is on so many people's "must do" list. It was very good, but, honestly we enjoyed Merriman's more and it was a much shorter drive.

You have 6 days that are not travel days (even though your flight is late on your last day, I assume you'll have to be out of the condo?). So I think you'll find that goes by so fast and it's hard to get caught up in the island vibe if too much time is spent in the car IMO.

Have a great time! It's so fun to vacation with "adult" kids.

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,381 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Sea House Restaurant
Sea House Restaurant
2,565 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
The Napili Bay
The Napili Bay
503 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua Coastal Trail
Kapalua Coastal Trail
884 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House
12,178 Reviews
Maui, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
3,033 Reviews
Maui, HI
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

Meant to add...

For a "super splurge" we had a chef come and prepare dinner for us at the condo. With 3 little ones we didn't do any fine dining (went to Merrimans in "shifts" on 2 different nights) so having a chef come to prepare dinner while the littles were in bed was an absolute dream. But I might have done it anyway with just adults. It was so nice to just enjoy our condo and have someone else prepare drinks and apps for us on the lanai, set a beautiful table and prepare a gourmet meal. Then clean everything up...leaving our kitchen cleaner than before dinner! We hired Chef John, but there are others. https://www.privatechefsmaui.com/chefjohn/

Mentioned in this post
Merriman's
Merriman's
3,033 Reviews
Maui, HI
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

Ducks - Is the area you are referring to in-front of the Westin Ocean Resort Villas? Thanks

"You have some of Maui's best snorkeling 10 minutes down the beach- walk past Nanea next door and when you get to the start of the next resort, enter the water there and swim south."

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

Thank you so much for the information. We looked and looked for a big, beautiful beach and it is so hard on the internet to find what they actually are like! Does it cost to use the Westin's beach? Thanks for all your advice!

12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

Thank you! If we did select just one of the trips, would you say the Blowhole would be something worthwhile to travel to see as well? I think it would be a little closer.

12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

Do you feel the ocean water will be contaminated by the volcano on The Big Island? I am hearing so much about the Vog and now the lava flow in to the water. Will this affect the waters in Maui?

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

jirpel

Yes, the beach in front of the Westin Ocean Resort Villas is what I meant (reply to post #5)

The blowhole is only 12 miles from HK and is a pleasant drive with other things on the way. It is at milepost 38.

You could go as far as just before milepost 42 to the Ohai trail. Turn around there, going further puts you on a one-lane scary section, part of which is unpaved - and therefore voids your rental agreement, which in turn leaves you uninsured.

BTW, the 'Reply' button on this forum is confusing, it does not tag your reply to a specific post, just creates a new post.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 day Maui Itinerary, July

Maui Ocean Center is in Maalaea. I consider anything that is not accessed on the 2-laner up and over the West Maui Mountains to be 'south'. Maalaea is 10 - 15 minutes north of us in Kihei.

ALL beaches in Hawaii are open to the public. Lots of people try as many as they have time for. SOME have very limited parking, although I have never been unable to park at the Kamaole Beach Parks or Keawakapu Beach, at the South Kihei/Wailea border.

The effects from Kilauea's current activity are primarily contained to the small area near the activity in Pahoa -- southern part of the southernmost island, Big Island of Hawaii. ALL the islands are familiar with the vog that has been coming up from Kilauea for the last 30 years. The vog may thicken a bit, but it won't matter if the Trade Winds (NE winds) continue to be strong enough to push Kona Winds (SE) away. Trades are usually strong in summer.

The Pacific Ocean should be able to handle a little pollution from Kilauea. Heavy rains are more likely to cause problems with murky water as they wash down an individual island from higher altitudes to the shore. Even that usually clears in a day or two. I see that often during our winter stays.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,239 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii