We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Maui on United

Level Contributor
40 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago to Maui on United

Has anyone flown United economy plus on the 777-200 Chicago o hare non stop to Maui? Is it ok for the long flight ? Pros /cons ?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
15 replies to this topic
Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

We just flew that and are in Hawaii now. We we're supposed to depart at around 10 am but had can hourish delay. It was a long flight but we were able to stretch out because the flight was not full. We have two kids do way over packed in the snack department.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

I have actually flown this twice recently, as well as the direct from HNL to DC. I actually prefer these long flights over a couple shorter ones and a layover. If you have economy plus, this is definitely the way to go. It also gets in the afternoon, instead of the evening when many of the LAX / SFO flights arrive. Which is convenient for dinner plans.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

I booked Chicago to Maui nonstop last year but a few months before the flight United changed our flight to one with a stop in Denver. I had booked United solely for the nonstop flight. Not sure if this is typical with them or not. But next trip will be on American. They don’t have nonstop ORD to OGG but I chose a flight that goes ORD>DFW>OGG since that route uses a wide body jet as opposed to connecting in Phoenix or LAX which has narrow body jets.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Petersburg, Iowa...
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

I've flown the United direct route, It was fine, we were also an hour late departing but still landed on time. I've also flown the AA ORD-DFW-OGG route, Won't bother doing that one again. Sure it's nice to be on the wide body jet but the flight from ORD-DFW does nothing but add travel time. This September we are trying Alaska for the first time with a layover in SEA

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

Cory, not sure I'd trust United again after our experience but I know things can happen on any airline. Just curious though if they only offer non-stop on certain days? I did a search for March to check prices and could only get NS on the return trip. We love Alaska Airlines though have not taken it to Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

That flight is our preferred one. Economy Plus is good. 777-200 its a wide body, but still 3 seats across in the outer rows. It used to be only 2 until they reconfigured. That was much better.

AA has the two seats still which is nice, and free meals. We have to connect somewhere, but wan tonly one connection. So we can fly from home to ORD and take United or to DFW and take AA. But we usually choose United because their mileage program is much easier to use for flights back to Maui. Lots more availability with good miles.

If you’re flying from ORD I’d choos e the non stop. The fewer connections, the less likely you are to have problems. I do think AA just announced an nonstop ORD-HNL. A hop over from HNL wouldn’t be bad. If you could work it to fly into JHM, and you’re staying in West Maui that would be terrific.

Anyway, we often book way ahead and our route sometimes gets changed. (All the airlines do this when you book early.) I always call immediately and they kindly change it back to what I want. In fact I often get better flights than what I started with. If you can book only one leg, your less likely to be changed.

I wish Alaska would work for us, but it would involve an overnight somewhere that’s not Hawaii. We’re not going for that until we’re just too old to handle the longer flights!

Edited: 31 May 2018, 13:27
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

we're flying the direct ORD to OGG on United in a few weeks. It is now 5 days a week (no directs on Tuesday or Wednesday)

I'm an obsessive researcher, hahha, and used seatguru and the flyertalk forums to pick our seats. There is a lot of coverage about seats 48A & B through 50A/B. The plane is starting to curve there, so it is only 2 across. 48B has a ton of room because the row in front still has 3 seats. You can also search and find youtube videos about those seats. They don't cost extra.

We normally do economy plus for the 4 of us. But on those United 777s, the 4 seats in the center are odd, with support bars interfering with storage and legroom. With the great reviews of 48A/B, that is what I booked for our family (48 A/B and 49 A/B). So we'll see!

Note that the rear bathroom is on the right side of the plane, so the A/B seats aren't near it. The H/I seats on the other side are also configured as 2, but are closer to the bathroom (the bathroom opens to the rear, not the aisle, so that helps)

There is an entire flyertalk thread on choosing seats on that plane :-)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airli…

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
40 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

Yeh I’m not sure which 777-200 I’m booking but the economy plus stops at rows 39 and 40. I am wondering if those are the best seats ? I also wonder how good the seats in the emergency would be in 17 with no undercarriage storage ? Thanks for all the info?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

Matt I'd check on seatguru and the forum thread on flyertalk. On flyertalk you'll get a ton of people weighing in. There is one 777-200 configuration that does the Hawaii direct flights from ORD. Unless there is major mechanical issues, it doesn't change. flyertalk is super helpful, particularly because there is the one thread with hundreds of posts about the exact plane.

If there are only 2 or 3 of you, economy plus legroom is probably the better choice, we just didnt like our options as a family of 4 (and saving $1100 round trip was nice too)

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Level Contributor
40 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago to Maui on United

Can you tell me what premier access is and what exactly is the United club ? Thanks for the link to flyertalk it really helped me out ! What extras should you select when you are getting economy plus? I’ve never flown United !

Reply to: Chicago to Maui on United
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted