We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

Westminster...
Level Contributor
45 posts
80 reviews
Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

Vising Maui in late June. This trip will be on a weekday. Please evaluate my itinerary. Are my times reasonable? I am also allocating 15 minutes of drive time between each stop below. I know its all about the journey. This itinerary is about as far as I want to drive.

Costco (Gas) Drive Away 6:30

Twin Falls 7:15 - 8:45

Garden of Eden 9:30 - 10:30

Halfway to Hana 10:45 - 11:00

Waikani Falls (3 Bears Falls) 11:15 - 12:00

Pua'a Ka'a Wayside Park & Falls12:15 - 1:15

Nahiku Marketplace 1:30 - 1:45

Hana Lava Tubes 2:00 - 3:00

Waianapanapa Black Sand Beach 3:10 - 4:15

Head Back beginning 4:15 / 4:30

10 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

Sam, your itinerary is fine. Like I said in your post from March just throw the times out the window. Be spontaneous. You might consider going past Oheo Gulch, so much to see!! I'd skip Twin Falls for the better options and sceneries further down the road. Head back no later than 4:00pm to get back before sunset.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

You might be interested in gypsyguide

https:/…

Edited: 31 May 2018, 21:43
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

We loved the Gypsy Guide app for our RTH trip - totally worth the cost and we learned so much from the commentary.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

We found that it was spot on for where to stop for pictures, etc.

Without a guide, you don't know where to stop to get that perfect picture, do you go around the next corner or stop here. Gypsy Guide told you before you get there, and where to pull over to be save too!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,113 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

I've done the drive five times, but have never stopped at Twin Falls. The parking lot is always full though. I might actually skip it too, and try to get further down the road. Then you could always stop at Twin Falls on the way back, if time allows.

Our first time, we never got past Hana, as we stopped so many other places, and did a few hikes. Next trip, we drove straight through to Hana before stopping, had a bite to eat, then drove to Oheo Gulch to hike the Pipiwai Trail with fewer people. Made more stops after that, on the way back.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

It sounds pretty good and as others have said try not to adhere to it with rigidity. One thing you are leaving out - going down to Keanea Peninsula to get banana bread at Aunty Sandy's. If you listed Halfway to Hana for banana bread only, skip that and do Sandy's instead. It's the best and I've eaten them all! Another great banana bread stop is at MM 31 right before you enter Hana town (you said you didn't want to go past Wainapanapa but it's only a few min) to get salted chocolate chip banana bread - there are no words to describe it's goodness imo.

I have driven to Hana more times than I can count but have never done Twin Falls. I'm sure it has plenty of merit and it closes at 3:45 so you wouldn't be able to visit on your return drive. (that's what their website states but that might only be for the retail stand, and maybe you could still hike, not sure about this) We've always felt other things were more important - I'd skip Garden of Eden and visit Kahanu Gardens and the Piilanihale Heiau instead, It's something we never miss. But really...there is so much and it's impossible to do it all. You have to prioritize so whatever you do just know you'll really enjoy the beauty and all the fun treats you can buy along the way. One tip - if I am not driving I get really carsick and when we had children (they are adults now) so did they. Non-Drowsy dramamine taken one hour before you get to the part of the road that comes after Paia (around the Hookipa Beach area) is your friend!

Edited: 01 June 2018, 16:57
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,113 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

I'm like you JulieBugg... if I am not driving, I take drugs! Or even better, I sit up front, passenger side, and have the window open. No AC going. It's nice to have all that amazing fresh air on that drive anyway.

And yes, another vote for Aunty Sandy's! Great to get there in the morning, when she first opens. Warm from the oven. Oh my!

Edited: 01 June 2018, 18:05
New Jersey
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

The Gypsy app was super helpful. Also, I would highly recommend the Pipiwai trail in Haleakala. That was one of the highlights during RTH!

Maui
Level Contributor
72,132 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

I agree, get the app. It will help a lot.

If you are going to do the mountain too, remember that your park admission ticket from either the Kipahulu side (where the Pipiwai is) or the summit is good for 72 hours.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
45 posts
80 reviews
10. Re: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please

Thank you all for the valuable advice and suggestions

Reply to: Road to Hana Itinerary - Help Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted