We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

so I was all set to book Trilogy Lanai today for our family of 4. I know it gets amazing reviews. But I know that beach can have South swells in the summer, and that Trilogy could end up taking up someplace smoother instead.

For only $80 total more, we could book with Mel from The Ocean Project early in our trip, then shore snorkel multiple times, then do Trilogy Ka'anapali or Olowalu (I'm interested in Olowalu, and if we do that, we'd tell Mel so maybe he'd take us to a different spot)

Or for the same cost as Trilogy Lanai, we could do Mel/Ocean Project, plus the Teralani trip with Costco pricing.

I know the Lanai trip sounds amazing, but we loved our Honolua snorkel last time, and our shore snorkel lessons were canceled due to brown water, so this option interests me too

thoughts?

13 replies to this topic
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

When is your trip? With kids in summer I would take the Ocean Project and the Trilogy Ka’anapali snorkel.

I was less than impressed with the Teralani Honolua snorkel trip, though I was glad we got the Costco deal. I’d rather pay more and go with Trilogy, I think.

Who did you go to Honolua with last time? Have you thought of snorkeling there from shore? If you can get out there really early in the morning it’s better than any of the boats. Getting in and cruising out to the reef on your own isn’t really as hard as you might think.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

I would book with Mel in a heart beat. The one trip I took with Teralani out to Honolua Bay was wonderful!! Either them or the cheaper Trilogy tour will work!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

What was wrong with Teralani Teri?

Where does the Teralani premium tour go? They say two spots, I head one spot was Honolua, where is the other?

Maui
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

I would. I know Trilogy does a great job, but I am not that excited about snorkeling off the beach @ Lanai. Is it really "that" superior to many of the great places we have here?

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

Teralani premier snorkel was fine. There were just a few things that I didn’t care for as much as on either Trilogy or Captain Steve, my two favorites.

Went to Honolua which was nice for my husband and middle son because they don’t want to swim out from shore there. But...I like going to Honolua very early in the morning from shore. I find I see more early than on the later boat trip. Of course that’s with any boat, but Trilogy does seem to be there first.

During whale season they only stopped at one snorkel spot, then the rest of the trip was called a whale watch. They definitely didn’t seem to make any effort to find whales like they would on Captain Steve’s, just moseyed along the coast back to Ka’anapali. Another snorkel stop would make me happier & you will get that this time of year.

The catamaran was disappointing to me because it didn’t have netting on the front, just hard surface. I love to ride the nets and get splashed, watch the fish, dolphins, maybe even whales swim right under me. They said their other boat does have nets.

The crew was friendly & we had fun, even had a big group of spinner dolphins come and see us as we left the bay. I would rather have paid more and done either Trilogy Lanai or Captain Steve’s Lanai trip, though.

Maybe the real kicker was that on that same day, Captain Steve’s snorkel tour saw this whale shark! https:/…

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

Snorkellady, no, snorkeling off the beach at Lanai is not that much superior to places on Maui. Except when there is a big swell, and you want a good south facing sandy beach for snorkeling, which Maui doesn’t really have. That’s usually in the winter. Summer is more likely to have more swell at Hulopo’e.

The thing about Trilogy’s Discover Lanai is that it’s more than just a snorkel trip. It’s a great day even without snorkeling. It’s a tour that different people love no matter what their various interests are. There’s something for everyone. The whole day comes together so well, and really feels special. The total is somehow more than the sum of its parts.

If you just want to snorkel off the beach, take Expeditions ferry over. For really great snorkeling at spots you can’t get to from shore, I would choose a Lanai raft tour like Captain Steve’s. We loved Sharkfin Rock.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,023 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

I'd do Mel and Gemini.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
8. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

Thank you everyone! We've decided to do the two activities. I just need to decide between Mel, and Suzzy Robinson's Maui Snorkel Tours. Any thoughts there? we were booked with Suzzy in 2016, but Tropical Storm Darby/Brown Water warnings ended up canceling it. Even though we didn't meet her, I was impressed with her professionalism and focus on safety (in terms of canceling due to unsafe conditions)

I also need to pick a snorkel trip, I am pretty interested in seeing Olowalu, which would be the Trilogy trip.

Thanks!

Edited: 02 June 2018, 05:28
Maui
Level Contributor
72,023 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

Both are good, Dawn. Pick whatever works for you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
10. Re: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead

I have snorkeled Olowalu many times and it is great. Just remember the actual snorkel spot is dependent on conditions that day and they might go elsewhere for better conditions

Have fun

Reply to: rethinking Trilogy Lanai,could do these 2 activities instead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted