We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my time on Maui

10 posts
Planning my time on Maui

My teenage niece and I are staying for 5 nights at the Marriott Wailea at the end of our 18 day trip to Hawaii this August. Must do's for this portion of the trip include sunrise at Haleakala, Old Lahaina Luau and some sort of snorkel/boat trip. The teenager isn't a big hang out on the beach/pool girl but has never been snorkeling before so I don't know how much of that she's going to want to do. She's also a pretty big foodie, so I'm planning at least 1-2 splurge meals while we are there.

I'd like some advice on what activities might be good to do during the day we go to OLL. Should we just plan on spending the day up in West Maui, take a morning snorkel trip or just hang out at our hotel that day.

I'm also wondering about putting a tour of the Maui Gold pineapple plantation and lunch at Haliiemaille General Store the same morning we do Haleakala and then just going back to the resort to chill for the remainder of the day. I know there are those who believe the pineapple plantation tour isn't worth it, but it was something I enjoyed immensely when I was there several years ago and its an experience I want my niece to have, especially since she LOVES pineapple.

Or should I consider putting Haleakala and OLL together on the same day and doing other stuff upcountry on a different day? That would give plenty of time for a nap in the late morning/early afternoon.

Since sunrise at Haleakala and OLL both need advance reservations, I'd like to get those locked in sooner rather than later.

Any advice is appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,113 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Planning my time on Maui

If you want to do the pineapple tour, then go for it. After all, it's your holiday, not ours!

I wouldn't combine Haleakala sunrise with the OLL. There is plenty to explore Upcountry after the sunrise. You've got the winery (nice grounds), the Ulupalakua Ranch store right across the street, lavender farm, and so much more up there. Enjoy what you want, and then head back to the resort for a nap, if needed.

Ulua Beach is a great place to snorkel, and your niece would be able to walk there very easily. Although, I wouldn't want her to snorkel on her own. Or at least, have you on the beach keeping an eye out on things.

A west Maui day is great for the OLL. Go up early though. The traffic around the pali can be backed up, especially on a Saturday afternoon, and rush hour.

Nakalele Blowhole, the Ohai Trail walk, Kapalua Coastal Trail, Napili Bay and other places can all be explored that day, before the OLL. Just exploring Front Street in Lahaina can take a couple of hours. There are a lot of historic sights in town too. And you will want to show your niece the old Banyan Tree, down by the courthouse too. That is definite must in my book! Ululani Shave Ice too, for a cool treat, on a hot afternoon.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Planning my time on Maui

Have you considered a snorkel tour? I know people just put on their fins and go but when we went as a family my daughter-in-law had never snorkeled before. So in advance of her arrival, my husband and I took an eco-snorkel tour with Suzzy Robinson of Maui Snorkel Tours. It was awesome!

We didn't want to go out on a boat and get dumped off lol so Suzzy's tour was perfect for us. It was all from the shore. She contacted us the night before to let us know which beach near our hotel would have the best conditions and we met her there. We also stayed at Marriott Wailea and she chose a beach that we could walk to. We had gone to her dive shop the day before to get our equipment.

Before getting in the water she taught us about local fish and some things we could expect to see. She had a lock box to keep our things safe while in the water. She stayed with us the whole time, guiding us with a boogie board we all held on to (if we wanted) while she pointed out different ocean life. We could hear everything she was saying while snorkeling.

I knew this was exactly what my DIL would like as an introduction to snorkeling. So she and my daughter went with Suzzy the following week. The experience was well beyond a snorkeling "lesson". Suzzy took pictures with our underwater camera, had a snack and water waiting when we finished - it was a great morning! We were very happy we went this direction rather than a snorkel tour from a boat. Maybe you and your daughter would enjoy this kind of morning as well.

As to the pineapple tour...we went years ago as well (late 1970s?) and the modern tour is not what the old one was at all. Once Dole stopped processing pineapple on Maui, the tour is a shell of what it used to be. Not trying to discourage you, but just so you know.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,226 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Planning my time on Maui

If your neice is a foodie do you think she might like the O’o Farm Coffee & Breakfast or Lunch Tour? We loved the lunch tour. http://oofarm.mybigcommerce.com/

You get a lot more for your money than with the pineapple tour. I loved the tour, and the lunch we had was wonderful - all prepared for us from veggies we picked, in the outdoor kitchen by the chef we met, and enjoyed in the beautiful Upcountry setting.

There was also a recent mention of an Upcountry cooking class, Chez Klio. http://www.chezklio.com/

Reply to: Planning my time on Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted