We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz rents car

Summerville...
Level Contributor
119 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz rents car

Aloha! We are arriving in Maui at the Kahului airport on June 12 at approximately 2:10 pm. We are picking up a Hertz rental car. We had wanted a 5 person Jeep or convertible but were told that none were available so we are opting for a full-sized car. We are a party of 5 adults, one of whom is handicapped due to somewhat limited walking and an upper limb amputation. When reading through some forum questions last night, I saw some things about rental cars and the length of time it takes to get one. We already have our reservation but I am looking for any tips to make the pickup easier and faster. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
7 replies to this topic
Burr Ridge, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz rents car

Some companies offer programs where you go directly to your car.

Avis has Avis Prefered. I’m sure someone can tell you about Herz’s program.

Good luck!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz rents car

Maybe for the best? Its hard to get 5 people into one of those jeeps that are supposed to seat 5

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,320 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz rents car

Go on-line or call them ... join their free "loyalty" club. In essence, they get all your info in advance ... so you use a speedy-line and get out quickly. I have used their process for years at various airports ... and not being a particularly patient person ... I love it.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz rents car

After joining the loyalty club, next advise would be to leave three to gather bags and wait curb side.. The two that will be driving go directly to the shuttle bus area to get to the Hertz offices. Since you are a new loyalty club member you might have to have the second driver with you, but maybe not.

After you chose your car and before you get on the street call and let your waiting party know what vehicle to look for. It's illegal to use a cell while driving except if it's connected to blue-tooth.

California
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz rents car

Like most of us regulars know, as soon as a plane from the mainland arrives the rental agencies are packed with dozens and dozens of newly arrived customers.

The best advise is to have the driver/renter go straight to the car rental location via shuttle and leave the rest of your group to deal with baggage. After you get the car simply drive back to the terminal and pick them up.

When I say go straight to the rental office I really mean straight to it, don't even wast time using the bathroom in the airport or trying to take luggage with you. At times this process can save you an hour of waiting not to mention it get's your vacation off on the right foot.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz rents car

Hertz is terrific at OGG when you have Gold Club membership!

Sign up on line for free, then add your account number to your existing reservation. Add all information for your spouse to drive free too.

You’ll be able to find your name on a board outside the office, find your parking space number and go directions your car without ever going inside or waiting in line.

Call the local OGG office to make sure you know how it all works. They’re very helpful.

(808) 893-5200

We’ve had our best rental experiences through Hertz at OGG.

Mentioned in this post
Summerville...
Level Contributor
119 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz rents car

Thank you so much, everyone, for your replies!! We will follow your advice!

Reply to: Hertz rents car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted