We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Topic
Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

Hi! My fiancé and I are going on our honeymoon early in 2019 and are set on going to Maui! We have wonderful family and friends who have offered to pay for our trip as our wedding gift and gave us these hotels to choose from. It has been really hard for us because while they all are beautiful and amazing, they have really mixed reviews, which I was hoping to base our decision on. We are hoping to relax, do some water sports, explore a bit, and EAT on this trip lol. The rooms are kind of important to me, and while we don't mind kids whatsoever, we don't necessarily want to be bombarded and splashed at every day lol. We almost definitely eliminated the Ritz due to its location and not wanting to worry about drinking at dinner and driving, as well as just general costs associated with the Ritz, but just wanted to field some opinions!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
15 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

I agree about the Ritz, also not easy beach access and can be very windy

Have to be careful with biting the hand that feeds you for sure

But the Hyatt Andaz in Wailea has similar pricing and is designed more for couples.

It is set up on a W style hotel chain, sits on a great beach and tiered pools.

Smaller rooms but a nice setup

It was a partial tear down and rebuild of an old hotel about 5 years ago.

Sits on the beach walkway with all the other Wailea Resorts

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

If the offer includes *any* Hyatt, yes, I'd take the Hyatt Andaz in Wailea.

I hope someone will have recent information about the results of the Sheraton's long-overdue renovations, too.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

Sheraton is undergoing renovations. Check and find out the details on that. We stayed there several years ago during low season and really liked it. But during early January, it gets very crowded there. They do have the very handy Starwood shuttle that will take you into Lahaina as well as around Ka’anapali.

Hyatt will definitely have the most kids.

“We almost definitely eliminated the Ritz due to its location and not wanting to worry about drinking at dinner and driving, ...”

I don’t think you need to eliminate the Ritz for that reason. Kapalua is my favorite part of Maui to stay.

I could be perfectly happy eating for a week within Kapalua and Napili next door. And the free Kapalua resort shuttle will take you anywhere in Kapalua. It’s easy to walk over to Napili from the south end by Kapalua Bay too. So you really have some lovely choices there from low to high end.

Merriman's Point Bar, to me is can’t miss for Happy hour. I could happily go there every day! It isn’t cheap, but you can make a meal of shared small plates, enjoy happy hour prices on drinks, very good live local music, and the most stunning views and setting on Maui. We save money on food on Maui by doing happy hours at the nicer restaurants. The time difference makes you want early to bed and early to rise anyway.

Sansei does have a late happy hour, though with sushi specials, and I believe they still do karaoke at that time.

Honolua Store has cheap eats that you can enjoy on their old time front porch next to the historic mission church and golf course, or get take out and snacks for the beach, the trail or the road.

Burger Shack beachfront at Ritz has fantastic burgers and adult milkshakes, big enough to share one of each for lunch and be very satisfied.

Plantation House up on the golf course has amazing sweeping views of gorgeous Kapalua and a lovely breakfast and lunch menu. There are several other restaurants in Kapalua too.

From Kapalua Beach you can walk easily to Sea House at Napili Kai. It has amazing views and reasonable prices, especially at happy hour. We enjoy breakfast there every trip. The Gazebo, also on Napili Bay is famous for its breakfasts, and huge portions for good prices. People order the fried rice and eat leftovers for days!

We love to get takeout and eat on our lanai or at the beach parks too. Beach Bums in Napili Plaza has really good kiawe/guava smoked ribs. You would have to drive here, but you could pick up something to drink. Then enjoy sharing a full rack and 2 sides dinner on your lanai or at the beach and you will have a fantastic meal as well as beautiful setting.

If you want to go into Lahaina a night or two for dinner and indulge in drinks, take an Uber or Lyft. You may want to do the Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Le’le one night. These are the two best luau. And since the drinks do flow freely, and Uber would be a good plan.

Kapalua is quieter, lush and green, with hiking trails and open spaces, pine trees and palms, rugged lava coastal walking path, 4 amazing beaches... gorgeous! But the green does come at the price of a bit more rain. We find it’s mostly passing showers, mostly over night and we are happy to stay in Kapalua even in winter. Others prefer Ka’anapali for its resort strip of 3 miles of golden beach with hotels, condos, shops & restaurants, catamaran sails, Snorkeling and other ocean sports are good in both areas. It may just depend on your travel style.

Best wishes to you for a beautiful Maui honeymoon!

Edited: 02 June 2018, 16:39
Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,426 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua Resort
Kapalua Resort
61 Reviews
Maui, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
3,035 Reviews
Maui, HI
Sansei Seafood Restaurant
Sansei Seafood Restaurant
1,296 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honolua Store
Honolua Store
678 Reviews
Maui, HI
Burger Shack
Burger Shack
166 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua Beach
Kapalua Beach
1,011 Reviews
Maui, HI
Sea House Restaurant
Sea House Restaurant
2,569 Reviews
Maui, HI
Napili Kai Beach Resort
Napili Kai Beach Resort
931 Reviews
Maui, HI
Gazebo Restaurant at Napili Shores
Gazebo Restaurant at...
2,786 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Napili Bay
The Napili Bay
503 Reviews
Maui, HI
Old Lahaina Luau
Old Lahaina Luau
6,760 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

Assuming the Ritz is out for you (I still like it though) then the Hyatt is the obvious choice with the Sheraton being a good second pick. Don't worry about bad reviews so much, every large hotel has some so you really have to take them with a grain of salt. Most people would love to spend a vacation at the Hyatt so don't look back.

Also, the Hyatt being in Kaanapali mean's you can walk to the various restaurants and bar's and not worry about drinking and driving. It's also been known for year's as being one of the "better" hotel's on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,757 Reviews
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

If renovations are completed at Sheraton, and if they’ve been nicely done, I’d choose it over Hyatt for a honeymoon. (If the Ritz is sadly out.)

Sheraton has a much nicer beach than Hyatt. Of course others think so too, and it will be busy. You’ll also be very close to walk over to the quieter, and even more gorgeous north side of Black Rock. You’ll be amazed at how nice it is, and hardly anyone will be there! You can then walk up to the Kahekili reef in front of Westin Villas for best snorkeling in the area. Or you can take that free Starwood shuttle.

Sheraton is also an easy walk to Whalers Village. We love MonkeyPod Kitchen there. Best mai tai ever, and the kiawe grilled ahi is wonderful!

All are good choices. Don’t let the South Maui promoters make you feel like you’re losing out by staying in West Maui. You are most definitely not!

Edited: 02 June 2018, 16:55
Mentioned in this post
The Spa at Black Rock
The Spa at Black Rock
829 Reviews
Maui, HI
Whalers Village Museum
Whalers Village Museum
1,495 Reviews
Maui, HI
Monkeypod Kitchen
Monkeypod Kitchen
5,128 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,258 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

#1 - Sheraton Maui

#2 - Hyatt

Mentioned in this post
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort...
4,652 Reviews
Maui, HI
Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

thank you everyone! I am definitely not out on the ritz personally, but my fiancé was not sold and through advice from others we had decided to put it out of our minds for the time being. but your answers are making me rethink and I will discuss it with him again! thanks for all suggestions

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,258 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

I wouldn't choose the Ritz in January anyway!

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

One more thing about Hyatt, it’s much denser, especially with the new Hyatt Residence Club timeshares sharing the property and catering to families.

Look at the three on Google Satellite maps to get a feel for the lay of the land.

If you have specific questions about Ritz, maybe start at thread to address those?

I think you’d be happy in any of them. We love Kapalua in January!

Edited: 02 June 2018, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?

I think your concerns about the Ritz are valid. I too wouldn't stay there in January. If the Sheraton is done with the renovations that would be a consideration. The Hyatt is lovely too.

When in early January exactly?

Reply to: Ritz, Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Maui for Honeymoon Jan 2019?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted