We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 15 - May 26

Colorado
Level Contributor
124 posts
106 reviews
Trip Report May 15 - May 26

We really enjoyed our Maui trip this year. We have visited Maui before but never made it to Hana so this trip we would!

We took the direct flight from Denver to Maui! Darn my luggage weighed 50.5 pounds! Must be all the lotions and shoes! Our flight left 40 minutes late as we had to wait for 6 people who were just landing. The pilot made up most of it. Upon arrival Our condo management company arranged a lei greeting for us so that was nice! It was very cloudy with a little sun peeking out. It took us 40 minutes to get our rental car! It was nice and roomy and all our luggage fit. We rented a condo at Elua Village in Wailea. This was the third time we have stayed in this complex. We use to stay next door at the Marriott but we kept adding on more vacation days and decided we needed more space than a hotel room. We stopped by the management office to pick up our keys and then off to find our unit. We stayed in a second floor condo with ocean views. It had a washer, dryer and huge kitchen and two bathrooms. Yes, we were spoiled! I forgot how beautiful the grounds are and the property is right on the beach walk. Just drop dead gorgeous. Unpacked and off to Monkeypod for dinner. If you don’t want to wait, you need reservations. I made all our dinner reservations on open table before I left home. They sat us outside on the patio and we had their famous Mai Tais. Day 2 - Spa morning for me! I walked over to Grand Wailea for a massage and facial! For the facial they use Eminence Organics products which are my favorite and sometimes hard to find spas that use them! Left feeling relaxed and met hubby on the beach for the rest of the day. No VOG beautiful day! That evening we ate at Cuatro Restaurant. This is one of the best restaurants on this side of the island but has no view and is In the Kihei town shopping center and is BYOB. Day 3- long morning beach walk all the way down to Kihei surfside hotel and back. Beach day and dinner at Gannons located on the Wailea Gold and Emerald Golf Course. Fantastic view on the patio and great food! Day 4 Hana trip- We decided not to drive so went with Valley Isle Excursions. They picked us up at 6:50 am and took us to a golf course for a light breakfast. This was pathetic. Just muffins and crossiants. They could improve or just eliminate this stop. Now the rest of the trip was fantastic! They make about 4 1/2 hours of stops throughout the entire day. They stopped at f Keanae, water falls, Wailua overlook, the Black Sand Beach for swimming at Wai`ānapanapa, A lunch stop at some flower gardens, Wailua Falls, Pools of `Ohe`o Gulch and Historic Palapala Ho`omau Congregational Church with Lindberg's Grave. For lunch we had BBQ chicken, macaroni salad, rolls and a green salad. The Pools of Oheo (7 Pools) are currently unavailable for swimming due to a landslide that occurred but we did the half mile hike and the views were breathtaking and boy was it windy! Also, the weather was just beautiful. No rain, waterfalls at full force! One stop you could swim under the waterfall but our tour guide told us not to get directly under the waterfalls as there are lose rocks falling and be careful crossing the river the rocks are very slippery! I really enjoyed seeing Lindbergh’s grave too! The president of Pan Am is also buried there. So we drove all the way around and did not backtrack. We drove on the gravel road part where they don’t allow rental cars. Also, there is some construction going on by the gravel road part of the trip but the road reopened at 4:00 pm. It was a long day but I really enjoyed it and have great pictures.

To be continued- wow longer than I met to report!

6 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report May 15 - May 26

Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like the beginning of another perfect Maui Trip!! Never gets boring!! Hmmm..might hv to start planning our next trip soon. Just curious did you rent condo from private owner? We were thinking of staying there next time instead of Grand Wailea Champions.

Colorado
Level Contributor
124 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report May 15 - May 26

We rented from destination hotels and we selected our unit number when booking. There are pictures and floor plans. There are calendars to view to see which units are available during the year.

https:/…

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report May 15 - May 26

Enjoyed reading your post. My family and I use open table frequently. I think it is the fastest way to plan meals with little stress.

Make sure you let your tour company know you didn’t appreciate your pseudo breakfast stop. They need that feedback to help them improve.

Colorado
Level Contributor
124 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report May 15 - May 26

Not only that - last year I received a 20.00 credit certificate from open table from all our bookings and I used it in Maui

Maui
Level Contributor
72,138 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report May 15 - May 26

Nice report! So glad you enjoyed your condo again :-).

I understand that Valley Isle only says "continental breakfast", right? I know they've only done light food early forever..........too many people can get sick if they eat a heavy meal right before being in the van for the start of the RTH :-0!

Sounds like you had a great day overall--every day!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,539 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report May 15 - May 26

Isn't that a nice morning walk down to the Surfside. I love that beach. Waterfalls flowing and beautiful weather, nice Hana day.

Reply to: Trip Report May 15 - May 26
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted