We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Hello!

We’re booking a last minute trip next week to Maui for our anniversary (4 days in Hana and 4 somewhere else. That’s the second part of the question) The 10 day forecasts show rain everyday! Is that true?? I thought June was supposed to be drier? I can’t find a storm from or anything come through on the weather so I’d love to hear thoughts from locals on this.

Second part. We’re not sure where to stay for the last 4 days. We’d love to stay in a nice resort on a beach but what beach is best for snorkeling/swimming/ general lounging around.? Thank you for any guidance!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
22 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,826 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Lots of resorts to choose from, and they are all on a beach, or very close to one. West Maui in Ka'anapali is one place you will find lots of resorts to choose from. And Wailea, in south Maui, is where there are others.

Ka'anapali has a very long beach, and Wailea is made up of smaller beaches that are separated by rock outcroppings.

Forget the weather forecast. If it rains, it is seldom for long. And you only need to drive a bit down the road to get the sunny weather. Okay, that is a generalization for sure! But don't worry about rain. Hana will and does get more rain than the west side though.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

First you are probably looking at an unreliable source of weather for the islands. Second, because of all the microclimates we have on island yes it rains somewhere on island almost every day. However it typically won’t affect you where you are staying. 4 days in Hana you are pretty guaranteed to see rain since it rains more there than other places.

What is your budget? That would help recommend a place to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

https:/…337843

https://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php…

Here are a couple of weather sites that I like ......forecast look s good

Chance of rain at 20% is a very common forecast. That is usuallly some trade wind showers associated with pretty good weather. They are often in the afternoon and often over the water and usually very light.

Doubt they would have any real impact

June is usually a very good weather month

Edited: 03 June 2018, 16:25
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

As far a your second question you can

Do that anywhere from Kapalua down to Makena depends on budget and personal preference

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
797 Reviews
Maui, HI
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Thats kind of what I was thinking about the weather. Wasn't sure what to really expect, and trip advisor always has great real responses from people who know! We are using points for the flight so we were open to splurging a little bit on hotel. We could go up to 350$-400$ and I'm always looking for deals online and I'm not afraid to do a "Name your own price" or "we hide the name" for a deal. It's worked out very well for us in the past in Hawaii because all the hotels are usually so nice when you get to the 3 and 4 star ones! I'd love any recommendations though. thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Hey I am from Borough Park

Resorts in Wailea probably run in the high $400$ + per night

Kaanapali like the Westin might be high $300+

Some discounts for hotel loyalty programs and AAA

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,590 Reviews
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Any place on Ka’anapali or Wailea will be similar for weather & ocean conditions in June. Wailea resorts generally provide beach chair service included in their rates, and are generally a bit higher than Ka’anapali resorts. That might be a plus for you. But it also has its negative side. The resort lounge chairs and umbrellas are usually set up several rows deep in Wailea, while they will be more sparse in Ka’anapali. You won’t be directed to a chair behind someone else.

FYI- Hawaii doesn’t allow food and beverage service on the beaches. You’ll need to go to the pool areas for that.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,352 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

Not many visitors stay Hana for more than two nights. No A/C, for one thing. Will you arrive OGG early enough to provision, then reach your Hana lodging before dark? You won't be too tired to cope with the twists and bends for a couple of hours after your long travel day?

Your $400 will rent a very nice condo. It will buy an OK room at most resort hotels. (Don't forget to add in the mandatory 'resort' fee and parking fee at a hotel.)

I dislike much of the 'touring' advice on this site (dangerous, ignores trespassing, etc.), but the lodging part is a quick read, with aerials and rack rates: www.hawaiirevealed.com

Maui started developing 'tourist destinagion resorts' at Kaanapali in the 1960's; Wailea came later; Kapalua later still. There are other smaller places in between these areas, and in beach town Kihei.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,761 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

4 nights Hana will lo be wonderful in June! After that 4 nights at a beach resort- terrific!

Sue owns a rental condo. She isn’t trying to steer you toward her condo, it’s not what you want. But she does generally express her idea that most people will be happier in a condo. That’s her point of view. It might not be yours.

I thought of recommending one of the full service condo resorts in Ka’anapali for you. That could make you happy with best of both worlds. But the condos left for your last minute plans won’t be the best ones. Skip it.

I like your idea of bidding for a good last minute deal at a good resort. Why not?!

Edited: 03 June 2018, 18:11
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches

We've been to Hana once about 7 years ago for almost a week and really i loved it. We kind of like being alone and cooking in a condo or cottage and just hanging out at beaches or going on hikes/botanical gardens. We are very easy to please. I was looking into the condo places in the more tourist area, and while I do love condos (and if we find a good one we might still stay!) i love the idea of just walking down to a bar, getting a pina colada or lava flow and hanging out by the pool with a book for hours and no worries. Were still very open but we did have an awesome Name your own price experience in Poipu where we got to stay at the Hyatt for 150$! i don't think well get that lucky again, but its kind of a fun gamble. I hadn't considered the parking and resort fee though so i'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Reply to: Two part question about Maui weather and beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted