We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for February?

Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
What to pack for February?

This is our first trip to Maui and I'm curious what to pack for February. I'm a 40 year old female and I'm thinking mostly shorts and tanks along with a couple sun dresses for nicer dinners. I only plan to bring one cardigan in case it gets chilly at night. Does this sound about right? Should I pack any pants or warmer clothes?

7 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
1. Re: What to pack for February?

Feb is the coolest month, average high around 70 down to the 50s at night, throw in a little wind and it can be cool.

Our last trip this past March was really cool, lots of sweat pants and jackets.

Other times it has been warmer, but if it is going to be cool,that’s about the time frame it will be

Also resort pools are mostly not heated so they have had several months to cool off. The ocean was warmer than the pools. We carry a very thin snorkel jacket and used them to enjoy the pools.

Even though it is Hawaii it still gets a bit of mild winter weather

Edited: 03 June 2018, 17:52
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
2. Re: What to pack for February?

You might want pants for hiking.

If you're going to Haleakala,- especially for sunrise, you'll want some warmer clothing.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: What to pack for February?

Bring a good windbreaker/rain jacket that you can use on a boat if needed. It can be wet and windy, especially when whale watching.

If you get unlucky with the unseasonably cool weather that Hawaii had this spring, just buy a Maui sweatshirt.

If you plan to go to Haleakala summit for sunrise or sunset bring winter layers. It’s cold!

Edited: 03 June 2018, 18:01
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,764 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: What to pack for February?

Wear warm clothes in the plane and use those for any chilly days on Maui. Hats, warm jackets and gloves are essential for the summit of Haleakala in the winter. It can and does snow up there!!.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
23,037 posts
5. Re: What to pack for February?

Locals will be wearing jeans, long sleeves, sweatshirts. You can spot the visitors off ships: Cruise clothes and white shoes! The TV weatherman in Honolulu will be wringing his hads over how COLD it is -- maybe even 68F at night.

We sleep with a blanket in February. I wear a mid-weight robe until after breakfast on our lanai -- or inside! Then it warms up until after dusk. Wind picks up on the beaches around noon. Our condo has heated pools, so they are busy most afternoons.

Your plans are good. Don't forget that you may not feel 'hot', but you are still closer to the sun, so you'll want sunscreen, hats, cover-ups. I want extra underwear -- to have clean and fresh to put on when changing clothes more often.

You may want insect repellent, especially if you're touring in dense foliage (Iao Valley, Road to Hana). Forget about 'styling' your hair in the wind and humidity. Leave your fine jewelry at home.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: What to pack for February?

Summer clothes. Well, summer-at-the-beach clothes. Cottons - natural, breathable fabrics.

Wear warm clothes on the plane (of course) - and they may do double-duty on Maui in bits and pieces.

Honestly, I have never worn actual blue jeans in Hawaii ... any of the Islands ... but if you wear them on the plane you have them handy.

Capri length comes in handy -- and shorts.

Remember - "rain" doesn't mean "cold" ... but out on the water, a quality wind-breaker or sweatshirt is important (and with a hood!).

Sandals, of course, but also tennies and socks. Hopping back into sandals in the middle of winter could be tough on the tootsies blister-wise.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,203 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: What to pack for February?

First, take out half of the clothes :-). Seriously-you don't need lots of clothes here, esp if you will be in a condo with laundry available. Maui's very casual except for a few places.

I'd wear pants on the planes. They can be cold and then you don't have to pack them. February can be freezing to us, LOL--but prob not so much to you.

Reply to: What to pack for February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted