We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary With parents and toddler

Seattle
Level Contributor
682 posts
1 review
Itinerary With parents and toddler

Hello everyone,

We booked our Maui trip at the beginning of the year and it's just a month away. This trip will be the first time for my wife's parents and our 2 year old toddler. We would love to get some feedback below. I will create a separate post for food. Thank you in advance.

Day 1: fly from BI, Costco, Geste shrimp truck, check in at Kapalua Villas

Day 2: Haleakala sunrise, Lavender Farm, Surfing goat dairy, Komodo Bakery, Iao Valley

- Is Iao Valley worth a visit? We haven't visited since the slide.

- My wife wasn't impressed with Lavender Farm when we visited. Has it stayed the same in last 5 years?

Day 3: Trilogy Lanai

- Any other company to consider besides Trilogy? We will not be consuming alcohol except my wife's father if that's a factor.

Day 4: Surf lessons (Hawaiian Paddle Sports or Goofy Foot), Honolua, Nakalele Blowhole

Day 5: South including La Perouse Bay

Day 6:Swap Meet

Day 7: not sure

Day 8: fly home

Any other suggestions?

20 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
1. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

Trilogy long day for a 2 year old

La Perrouse is great love it and recommdnd it, but the hiking trail is through the lava field and footing can be rough for a 2 year old

Other than that looks great...have fun

Maui
Level Contributor
71,993 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

Sean,

I think you're being a little ambitious again, LOL. Esp with the toddler.

Sunrise and then a full day of driving is a lot for your parents and the kid, too. I would prob cut out the lavender farm, and remember that Komoda's is closed on Wed. and Sundays (don't know what day you're going). 'Iao is well worth it, but everyone may be too tired of the windshield by then.

I agree that the Lana'i trip is a long day for a 2. Plus, in summertime, the swells may make the snorkeling more difficult/less good there. Has the toddler been on the ocean at all, or on a boat at all?

I'd skip the swap meet, and play in Lahaina town, on the Kapalua Coastal Trail, and the beach. The next day, maybe do 'Iao and the Maui Tropical Plantation.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 01:32
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,208 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

Trilogy Lanai is great for families and mixed groups, I wouldn’t recommend any other company for you. But a 2 year old is very young for that long day. SW makes a good point about south swell & shore break conditions in summer. I’d skip it.

We have a 2 year old granddaughter & I can’t imagine things going well with her on that trip at this age. We might consider it when she’s 4. Maybe...

How about a 2 hour sunset sail instead of an all day snorkel tour? If you want to board from Lahaina Harbor instead of beach boarding, Sail Maui (Paragon) does a nice sail.

Also, I agree, with SW, enjoy Kapalua more! And Lahaina town too, maybe go to baby beach. Tropical Plantation and ‘Iao Valley would be nice, but not needed. Spend more time enjoying beautiful Northwest Maui.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

Haleakala, Kapalua to La Perouse and Kapalua to the swap meet equals alot of time in the car. I would spend more time at the pool and beautiful Kapalua beach with the little. Maybe visit Kaanapali beach for surf lessons, enjoy the beach, have a great lunch beachside, get some shave ice or gelato. Iao Valley and the Maui Tropical Plantation would be a nice day (could combine with the swap meet), your little could enjoy feeding the ducks, riding the tram and having an ice cream cone. Maybe the grandparents could have a pool day at the condo with the little one while you enjoy the Lanai trip. Less driving would probably make for a more enjoyable vacation.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 03:10
Seattle
Level Contributor
682 posts
1 review
5. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

You know that's just our traveling style and can't help it, SW. lol. I blame me trying to be a good son-in-law wanting to show my parents-in-law bunch of cool stuff.

Re Lanai trip: This is one of the most memorable day of our Hawaii trips and we want the parents to experience it. Snorkeling wasn't all that great the last time, but it also isn't the primary factor that makes the trip that great. Although we may miss the sunset on the way back, we may consider taking earlier trip for earlier return and calmer water. If not, we will consider shorter sunset trip as Teri recommended.

I have never heard of Maui Tropical Plantation before and it looks fun for toddler. I will probably combine Swap Meet (wife's wants), Iao Valley, and Tropical Plantation per suggested.

Haleakala: It's a maybe for us since not sure if we want to wake our toddler at 3am in the morning.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,993 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

Lol, I know, Sean :-).

That time of year, you need to leave by 2 am to get to the summit on time. I'd skip sunrise, and go to Komoda's first, then up the mountain. Remember you may need to stop more if the kid and or parents have any altitude sickness symptoms.

7. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 19:32

Seattle
Level Contributor
682 posts
1 review
8. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

I talked to Trilogy customer service before I saw your post, Shea. They said they have toddlers on their catamaran all the time. We are very responsible parents, probably too over-protective sometimes. But our toddler’s safety is utmost important. Can you share some more context?

9. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 19:32

Maui
Level Contributor
71,993 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary With parents and toddler

The Au'au channel isn't as rough as some others. But, as good as Trilogy is, and as good as you are ---save it for next time, for several reasons.

Reply to: Itinerary With parents and toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted