We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Hi All,

I have looked through multiple posts on this forum, however still can't find answers to 2 specific questions I have in regards to this trip:

1. How long without stops it will take to drive from Kaanapali to Hana (one way)? We will add stops based on further investigation?

2. Because I doubt we can do the whole thing with kids, is there a point in the road where you would say it is Ok to turn around ( you have seen a few waterfalls, views, done a hike or visited black beach, bamboo forest for example). Where about is that point and is it worth doing 1 hours drive and turning around?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,769 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
12 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,764 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

From Kaanapali to Hana, without stops, is about 4 hours. From Kihei it would be about 3 1/2.

You could just go to Twin Falls, which is just past Haiku. That would be about an hour and a half drive each way.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,769 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Twin Falls Maui
Twin Falls Maui
338 Reviews
Maui, HI
Haiku
Haiku
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,826 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Are either of the kids prone to being car sick? We didn't even discuss the Road to Hana when we took out three teens to Maui for their first time. It was a "no go" under any circumstances!

But with driving it yourselves, you can turn around at any time if you aren't having any fun any more... or anyone gets sick!

The park with the black sand beach is just before Hana, so quite a drive to get that far.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Hi --

There are various places to turn around - so feel free! Hana itself is just a little town. It's the ROAD that is the attraction. Keanae Peninsula is a good place to turn around if need be. Not everyone goes all the way to Hana.

Make sure that you have good maps. And travel guidebooks would be very helpful.

Also, when you arrive at OGG airport, you'll see all kinds of freebie maps and other information. Help yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Ohio
Level Contributor
544 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

My husband and I barely survived the road to Hana almost 14 years ago on our honeymoon. I said I’d never do it again. Fast forward to today- we made a decision on a whim to take our 8 and 6 year olds. They were troopers! We had a blast. Used the gypsy app which I highly recommend. $6.

My older daughter is also prone to motion sickness. Frequent stops and keeping the windows rolled down helped. She felt bad a few times but said it was worth it.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 08:57
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Wouldn’t say don’t do it but it’s a long way with young kids even if you turn around

Washington UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

It's a long drive and the toilet stops aren't that close together so I would also say you'll have to think about your 4 year old and their ability to hold it. The bamboo forest I think you're referring to is part of the Pipiwai trail which is actually after Hana.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 19:00
Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,078 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Stick to the pool or the beach everyone will be happier!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Only you know your kids and how well they'll do, but I recommend it. We did the drive with a 4 1/2 year old and a 6 year old in 2015 and had a blast. We drove the WHOLE thing (we've driven worse roads in Colorado) and they only got antsy as we got around the far side. We went into it expecting that we would turn around at some point but we were having so much fun that we just kept going.

Here's a link to our photos: https://goo.gl/photos/68yBz4csw8diAktQA

Agree with the previous poster about the Gypsy app - it was great to have a tour guide "with" us so I didn't have to try to read the guidebook (I get carsick easily but didn't have any problems on this trip), plus it had a lot more information than any book.

Pack lots of snacks and water bottles and small bills for the banana bread/honor stands.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Re: bathrooms. Besides the scarcity of such ... they aren't exactly the cleanest, either. So BYO potty seat covers and wet wipes for your hands.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old

Hmmm.... I really don't remember making lots of potty stops - but I have boys so it's easier to deal with emergency stops (and we just spent a week rafting in Utah where there are NO bathrooms but what you carry on the boat so my perspective is quite different, LOL).

Reply to: Road to Hana with 7 and 4 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted