We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tattoo Info needed.....

California
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tattoo Info needed.....

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with getting a tattoo on Maui?

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

I got a tattoo a couple years ago on Maui at a place called Hot Rod Ink in Kihei. Nate did mine (a small Plumeria flower) and my husband's (a lizard). Both turned out great!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

My wife and son got tats in Lahaina at Skin Deep this last July. Other than the the actual pain of the process itself it was a great experience. Their artists, a husband and wife have since bought their own studio in Lahaina called Atomic Tattoo. The son got an armband and the wife a good size floral and butterfly tat with lots of color. Skin Deep has what you need to do before and after getting a tat and they follow it to a T.

http://www.skindeeptattoo.com/rules.html

NYC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

Keep in mind that after you get a tattoo a lot of the activities that make Maui so great are off limits if you want to keep your tatto looking good and avoid infection. That includes (for two weeks).....

1. Keeping it out of the sun.

2. No going in the ocean

3. No going in the Pool

4. No going in the hot tub (seriously).

If you are going to get one in Maui, wait until the last few days of your vacation if any of that matters to you.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

Re: SkinDeep

Though I've never been inked there, it's been about 25 years since my first visit - right out of high school - with several friends who got their initiation into inkaholism in Maui. One friend has been back numerous times & is very happy with the lines & colorwork, although I can't remember the artist who did most of it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

Good point about waitiing until the end of your trip! We got our tats our last night on Maui. Otherwise, as mentioned, you can't have any more fun in the sun.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

My wife also got a tatoo at Skin Deep. They are located in down town Lahaina. Opposite and acrosss the street from the Bayan Tree, upstairs. We found them to be very professional and stressed being a clean place for the tat. They are very strict on telling you after it's done you cannot go into the sea or swimming pool to avoid infections. Also will check you out to see if your sober or straight before they start. It's best to have it done the night before you leave to return home.

By the way she receives a lot of compliments on her flower on her ankle that she selected.

California
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

Has anyone had any work done by Rachael at Maui Tattoo Co.?

California
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

Another Skin Deep client here last February. My daughter and mother-in-law all had the same plumerica tattooed. "Spike" is good with flowers.... The place rocks.......

California
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

That is....... plumeria, not plumerica....

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tattoo Info needed.....

Hey Maui? I mean no offense in this question. Are you sure you want a tattoo? Does it need to be from Maui? I mean no disrespect.

So as you can probably tell, I have no experiences with tattos. But, I did get some nasty lava rock cuts when swimming and snorkeling. Thanks for listening....when you go...have a great time! caddy....