We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling cruise

Seattle, WA
1 post
Save Topic
Best snorkeling cruise

Hi: My husband and I are heading to Maui on 11/27 and looking for a good snorkel cruise company. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling cruise

I can't reccomend any cruises specifically, but I would say they are all fairly similiar. I would recommend that you check the weather the day that you want to go out, becasue the best snorkeling is at Molikini and if the waves are too high, you'll be taken to Coral Gardens which is not as good. If you are renting gear, you can get it at Boss Frog's and when we were there they rented gear and included a $7 a person cruise to Molikini which is what we did, but the weather got us. Definately rent gear from Boss Frog's or Snorkel Bob's though because if ytou rent it from the hotel shops on the beach it is $20-$25 a day, while it is $30 a week at BF's or SB's. Have a great time!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling cruise

We did some diving as well as snorkeling around Maui and the biggest factor was the weather. The breezes that pick up later in the day can make the surface choppy and runoff from rain can lessen the visibility.

Somewhere near the...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling cruise

Hi Sehar: Some will depend on how much you want to spend, where you are staying on the island, and how long you want to be out on the water. With that said, I have to disagree about Molokini being the "best" spot for snorkeling..... it is the most popular, for sure, but due to its popularity, it has degraded somewhat in the past few years --- corals are dying so the fish are going elsewhere to feed. On the other hand, since SO MANY boats "do the Molokini thing" it is one of the cheaper snorkeling sites and there are many, many choices to be had.... my favorite is Pacific Whale Foundation, leaving out of Maalaea Harbor -- they run a not-for-profit foundation for the environment, their newest boats run on veggie fuel (bio-diesel), and the crews are usually made up of folks really into the environment and/or doing graduate/post-graduate work. If you're staying on the West side of Maui (Kaanapali), then finding a trip which leaves out of Lahaina may be a better option since you don't have to get up so early to make the drive to Maalaea. This past visit, we took the Trilogy Lana'i afternoon trip (leaves at around 10AM and gets back at sunset). It was beautiful, fun, the snorkeling off of Lana'i at first looked like a hum-drum, but if you go further out, it is fantastic - TONS of fish and not just one or two, but whole SCHOOLS.... almost the whole variety that you'll see on those fish identification cards. Good bbq afterward, and the crew on-board are knowledgeable and friendly to all. A bit pricey, but definitely worth the money. Of course, if you're staying in the Kihei/Wailea on the East side, there are some smaller boats which will leave out of Wailea, and get you to Molokini and/or La Perouse Bay (very nice spot) in very little time since its not that far. If you're interested in doing some snorkeling from shore, the La Perouse Bay area is very good, as well as the spot known as "Aquarium" in the Anihi Reserve (but you'll have to walk for about 1/2 hour through woods and then over sharp lava to get there.) Is it worth the effort??? YES!! Well, there's tons to say about this subject, but hopefully this will give you some ideas. Do a Google search and you'll find lots of information about the various boating tours.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling cruise

Just go to "Boss Frog's" VERY helpful and will hook you up with some amazing snorkeling tours. GREAT prices, very nice. ENJOY

chicago , ill
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkeling cruise

I agree with crazed4hawaii2, pacific whale foundation was great! The crew was friendly and knowledgable. They are one of the few cruises that will get in the water with you and do a reef cruise. I am swimming challenged and was helped quite a bit by the crew. You can also feel good about helping a group that help the environment. Maui is the extinction capital of north america. I would also recommend Boss Froggs snorkel rental. They're courteous and friendly. The rental also comes with an afternoon snorkel. Most of the time that is to Coral gardens, because of the afternoon winds. I was blessed with calm sea so we got to Molokini. Molokini was not the snorkeling heaven I expected. Very little fish but a few reef sharks. Don't worry they don't seem to notice us and when they do they run. I also give complements to the crew of Quicksilver. Quicksilver was the cruise from Boss Froggs, Getting to the harbor was no problem for me because I stayed in Maalea. All and all my trip was great. Thank you tripadvisor!