We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental Company

Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Vacation Rental Company

We had rented a large house in Maui via Homeaway/VRBO for my partners 40th birthday. Unfortunately, this was cancelled this morning.

I then got an email from James at "Perfect Vacation Bliss" saying that the "system had erroneously deleted some reservations you are involved" and the need to manually key in your reservation if you are still interested.

It all seems very suspicious to me. They don't seem to have a big internet footprint nor reviews. I am ok if they are new but when asked they said "this is not a newly started business".

Has anyone heard of the above company/have any experience in dealing with them.

thanks in advance for your help

11 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Vacation Rental Company

Very suspicious indeed.....yikes

https:/…Alert

Please let us know what happens and provide a link to the VRBO listing so others can be warned. I would also report it to the BBB so they know it's an ongoing scam.

Edited: 25 September 2018, 01:44
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Vacation Rental Company

I haven't heard of them but just did a bit of sleuthing on their website.

They show this property for rent: perfectvacationbliss.com/4br4ba-sweeping-oce…

Here's the same house with the same description showing that it sold in January this year for almost $4,000,000 - buyorsellmauirealestate.com/property/367146/

If they aren't legitimate, they could have lifted the info from the real estate listing and placed it on their website.

Their website and FB page look fairly new.

Would someone rent a house worth almost $4m for $1050/ night?

Have you contacted Home Away re the reservation? I wouldn't manually key in anything while you have these suspicions.

Good luck with this!

p.s. Just saw mtinbc's post ... it doesn't sound good. Hope you received your money back from Home Away and that you can find a new place that is suitable for your stay.

Edited: 25 September 2018, 01:53
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
580 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Vacation Rental Company

Since you booked through VRBO, do contact them ASAP. At a minimum they should refund your rental. It looks pretty sketchy to me also. Looked up the owners on mauipropertytax.com by googling the address. They are in PA. I’m not sure if vacation rentals are allowed in their gated neighborhood....

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
4. Re: Vacation Rental Company

<"I then got an email from James at "Perfect Vacation Bliss" saying that the "system had erroneously deleted some reservations you are involved" and the need to manually key in your reservation if you are still interested.">

Who is James and how is he related to HomeAway?

Was he going to reinstate it for the same rate?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Vacation Rental Company

Thanks for you comments.

HomeAway did say they will do 100% refund. Hasn’t appeared in account yet but I think it will be a few days.

James was the person listing the house on HomeAway and the one that contacted me when it was cancelled as the properties manager of perfect bliss. This is his sign off.

James Thibodeau

Properties Manager

Perfect Bliss Vacation Rentals

Tel: +1 808-215-7326

Fax: +1 888-585-9859

http://www.perfectvacationbliss.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Vacation Rental Company

That's the same phone number on their website with bogus address at Lahaina Cannery Mall. The scam complaint to the BBB I linked uses the same address but a different phone number.

Relieved to hear Homeaway is issuing refund.

Now that you need to find something else, if you provide some details - # of bedrooms/people travelling, when & budget per nt in US$, maybe we can help.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: Vacation Rental Company

Yes ...great to hear that you will be receiving a refund. You were wise to post here about your concerns. As mtinbc mentions - don't hesitate to ask here (perhaps on a new thread) for hep with finding another place. There are reputable agencies on Maui that you might want to deal with instead of going through VRBO or HomeAway.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
8. Re: Vacation Rental Company

When will you be on Maui?

If you end up having to pay more, are either/any of the other parties involved willing to cover the extra cost?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Vacation Rental Company

We are in Maui in early feb. I suspect anymore cost is up to me which I’m fine with if I get a full refund,

Thanks for the offer to give an opinion on new accommodation, I think we will go for our the montage residences. There are 7 adults, they look like the have enough space at a reasonable price.

This will be our 4th trip and we generally don’t stay up that way, so it will be a new adventure :)

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
10. Re: Vacation Rental Company

FYI just had identical experience through AirBnB. Referred to a Lakisa Ramona as the AirBnB rep and received an email from James Thibodeau. He asked me to wire money directly. House price seems WAY to good to be true. Obviously, I'm not wiring money to an unknown account.

I contacted AirBnb will post results.

Reply to: Vacation Rental Company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted