We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Oahu?

NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Maui or Oahu?

Planning a trip for next year and would like to know which island u think is the best one to visit -- Oahu or Maui. Not sure if I'll have enough time to do more than one island. I do like the touristy things and want to see and do as much as possible. Road to Hana seems like the thing to do. Not sure what there is to do on Oahu.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui or Oahu?

I've never toured Oahu, just flown right through. The Polynesian Cultural Center, the USS Arizona, the North Shore surfing. Honolulu/Waikiki is more like a big city in a tropical zone. Maui is more rural. There are plenty of touristy things to do and places to see in Maui but it is more the beauty of the island and the laid back attitude that a lot of visitors love. Maui has a couple of dozen outstanding beaches that are perfect for snorkeling and swimming. The road to Hana has several places to stop for hikes and views.

Southern California
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui or Oahu?

You didn't say how long your stay on Maui will be but there are many good one day tours of Oahu you can take tailored to your interests. Inter-iland flights also go as low as $19 each way and one day car rentals as low as $30 if you would like to explore on your own and at your own pace. I believe Aloha's first flight out is about 6 and the last one back around 8. The Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri, and Punchbowl are must sees in my opinion and that would leave you enough time for some sightseeing in Waikiki and a Blue Hawaiian at The Royal Hawaiian. Have fun!!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui or Oahu?

There is more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visit-maui.com Free brochure

And in case you are thinking about Kauai or Big Island:

www.bigisland.org Free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com Free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com

Get all of the free brochures. Then you can see what is available on each island.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui or Oahu?

There are a million things to do on both islands.

Oahu has more commercialized areas like Waikiki, which is very busy, caters to tourists, has night life, etc. The north shore of Oahu has funky little towns and beautiful beaches and is a great place to explore -- definitely more "rural," if you can call it that. They have public transportation if that's an issue.

Maui has commercialized areas like Kaanapali (most of the big hotels), Wailea (the really nice hotels) and less "commercial" but still pretty populated areas like Kapalua and Kihei ... Beautiful beaches, but also places to explore like the road to Hana, Haleakala, etc. Not as much nightlife -- you'll definitely need a car here.

Both are great options ... what types of "touristy" things do you like and who will be going with you? Do you like hustle and bustle or prefer more laid back?

A little more info here and you'll get some pretty good answers.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui or Oahu?

Given the long plane ride, I'd try to plan at least a week -- better, ten nights -- in Hawaii. Oahu's main tourist area is Honolulu/Waikiki; there's not a lot of nice lodging elsewhere on the island. Maui has a wide choice of lodging, in both West Maui (NW lobe) and South Maui (SW coast).

A good introduction to Hawaii is to spend some nights in Honolulu, seeing Waikiki, Iolani Palace, Pearl Harbor, etc. Then rent a car for at least one day to tour the east and north shores. Then hop to Maui if you like, for more scenic sights and beaches. If you can arrange to fly into Honolulu and home from Maui that will save you a "hop".

Check out some tour books. There's plenty to do/see on both islands.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui or Oahu?

dreamsofmaui: This upcoming trip is my first trip to Maui. I have been to Oahu several times and love it. It will be interesting to see which one comes out as the "fave" after this trip.

Oahu is extremely lush. I have stayed in Waikiki and I have stayed on the east side of the island as well. I actually prefer to stay in Waikiki and take a rental car out for the day. Honolulu is very metropolitain/cosmopolitian, but escaping that area for the North or Eastern shore gives a whole new flavor. There is a TON of things to do on Oahu: Pearl Harbor, the Sea Life Park, some fabulous beaches (Laniaki is my fave), plantations, Polynesian Cultural Center, the royal palace, a zoo, lots of nature trails, wonderful shrimp shacks on the N. Shore. It is also primarily where the show Lost is filmed and if you are a fan, it's cool to see the vistas from the show. There is much, much, much more.

My parents have been to both. They prefer Maui because they say it is much more laid back. They admit that Oahu is more lush plantwise. And they admit that they each have a unique flavor and personality.

Having never done the Road to Hana, I can say that one of my favorite drives on Oahu is driving the South Side of the island on the highway from east to west. They are some of the most fabulout ocean vistas that I have ever seen as well as toe tingling because the windy road, with cliffs and rocks, with nothing but a thin metal guardrail between you and the ocean.

In about 14 days, I can give you a more "informed" answer! ;)

Level Contributor
239 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui or Oahu?

We love both islands, with Maui being our favorite. That said, we prefer Maui because we can just "be" when we are there. It is beautiful, quiet and relaxed. We go to Oahu when we want to see and do more "things". It is still Hawaii, pretty flowers, ocean, aloha spirit, but Maui gives our souls a sense of calmness. There are many wonderful experiences to have on Maui, we return to snorkel and sit by the ocean.

In Honolulu we tend to shop and sight see more. If you have never been, Oahu has more tours to do. I think everyone should experience Pearl Harbor and the National Cemetary once in their life. Chinatown is always a fun half day, touring the "Mighty Missouri" battleship is cool and watching the surfers on the North shore is always fun. You kinda have to decide if you want to "go" at a fast pace(oahu) or a slow pace(maui). Both are awesome in their respectful ways.

US
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui or Oahu?

Depends on what you're looking for. I'm not into crowds, so for me it's:

Kauai > Maui > Oahu

Utah
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui or Oahu?

I have been to Oahu and just returned from Maui. I loved them both, but Maui has won my heart. If you like the city and more nightlife then Oahu might be for you, but Maui is so much more laid back yet still offeres plenty to do. Have a great trip. Michelle

10. Re: Maui or Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 18:21