We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

so. cal
Level Contributor
702 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

This may belong in a review and when we get back home I may post one there... I just wanted to give my experience last night.

I've been to Stella Blues before and had a good experience but after last night... Never again.

How do you ruin an easy dish like Mac encrusted fish? It was way overcooked and almost dry. Not just mine, but my wife's too. The bottom was so overdone I litteraly had to use the steak knife (a steak knife on fish!!!). It wasn't the waiter's fault so he still got a tip. But we didn't even have the heart to try dessert. $80 later we went back to the condo for ice cream. What a disapointment. (sorry for any spelling errors...It's late)

Aloha!

Mike

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

Just wondering.....

Did you send it back? Why not?

If it was bad and you finished it, how would the kitchen ever get the hint?

Did the waiter know that your dishes were so bad? If you were using a steak knife on fish, I would think a observant waiter would suspect that something was wrong!

Maybe the cook was new.

How can kitchen errors be corrected if the establishment does not hear about it at that time?

so. cal
Level Contributor
702 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

Hi lwj: Good questions but with all due respect....

I am just one of those folks who hates hassles. This includes waiting for another 15 minutes after waiting 20 to get the food. I also don't feel it's my responsibility to make sure some line cook, new or not, posseses basic proficiency with simple foods by reporting his failures. There should be a supervisor monitoring his progress if he's that new.

I'm on vacation and expect to be doted upon in return for my $. The experience should be pleasant and well executed.

The list of questions you posed all have implicit with them responsibility, effort, and hassle on my part. That's what I get paid for when I'm not on vacation. Too much for me. I'll just call a horrible meal for what it is and move on the the beach.

Aloha

antioch
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

touche'

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

Thanks i2food

I love the real time heads up on a bad and overratted place on Maui as there are as many traps as there are great places to eat-i'm really going to be heads up for your Mama's Fish house review as its been very hot and cold latley with the maui forum.

Glad your having a good time and keep the real time advice comming.

2 days to go!!!!

mex25

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

Oh and Happy 4th i2food!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

I'm sorry you got a bad meal at Stella's. I have been going there every couple of months for the last 4 years and have never had a bad meal. I know you don't want to be confrontational while on vacation, but I would have told the waiter the meal was not up to par. That being said, if that happened to me I just wouldn't go back. I once, at least 15 years ago had a very bad experience in Wal-Mart. Haven't been back since!!

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

in2food,

Excellent points, and I agree with you, but I would have at least mentioned it to someone... or left an obvious hint...

In most restaurants, the wait-person comes over at the end of the meal and usually asks if everything was OK... a perfect time to simply mention that the fish was overdone. (Maybe they knew and didn't ask?)

If I am not mistaken, the tips are split up at the end of each shift, some going to the bus boys, much to the wait-persons and some to the kitchen help...

Still, until I hear otherwise, I will avoid Stella Blues.

Thanks for the post.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

The joint has never been the same since that car crashed into the old location about a decade or so ago....

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your meal, but that macadamia nut crusted fish is my FAVORITE meal at Stella's. I rarely get anything else. What kind of fish did you get? There are certain kinds that work better w/ the crust than others. Generally a soft flaky fish instead of something like Mahi or Ahi would be best (that's my personal opinion). And I'm betting you've never worked at a restaurant. There are a million things that can go wrong with a meal without any of the staff noticing. Stella's does have someone plating the food for the servers, but considering how busy the island is now, I'm sure the kitchen was slammed. If you can't be bothered to bring the problem up to your server, but can take the time to post about it on the Internet, then that's your own fault. You are simply doing yourself a disservice if you don't allow people to correct mistakes. Hell you probably would have gotten a free dessert or drinks out of the deal.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Heads up on Stella Blues... Yuck!

Bravo, HH! It's just silly to sit and eat a bad meal without saying anything to the waiter or manager. DH and I are quiet people but if something is bad enough to write about on a forum, it's bad enough to send back.

BTW, the only diner who gets "doted upon" around my house is our grandson, age two. Dote: 1. to be feebleminded. 2. to show excessive or foolish affection

I think our OP wanted to be "catered to".