We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

It's our first trip to Hawaii. I have read a lot of great advice on TA, but I have a question about packing- Is there anything that I should pack that I might need in Maui and not think to pack?

Also, any great advice for a 1st time Maui traveler who is finalizing all the details for her dream vacation?

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
119 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

Be very careful in packing, Maui is part of a third world country and many items are not available there.

Really the only thing you really need to bring is your "aloha spirit"!

Alomst anything else you may have forgotten you can get at Walmart on your way to your lodgings.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

But who wants to hunt for sunscreen in Walmart when you could be using it if you packed it in your checked through luggage, since its more than 3 ozs. Also another memory stick for the camera.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

I just returned from an 11 day stay split between Maui and the BI. I did the whole trip (3 people) without checking any luggage! On both islands, I was able to do laundry because of our accommodations. The idea of losing luggage stresses me out! Do not overpack!! I agree with the previous poster--I did not want to spend my precious vacation time shopping for sunscreen, etc. A couple of 3 oz. tubes did the trick. It's amazing how very little you need.

I did pack an additional small duffel bag in case I needed it for the return trip for things I purchased, but I never used it. Here is what I did instead: I left some old sweatshirts, a pair of flip flops and a 700 page Harry Potter book that my daughter had finished reading for the trash! I purposely brought old warn clothes that I packed for sunrise with the intent of leaving them behind if I needed to. Worked out perfectly!!!

If you are doing sunrise...it is very cold and very windy! Dress warmly! Bring a pair of gloves and something to cover your ears.

New York
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

Pack light...on our last trip returning from Hawaii, our luggage was heavier and we had to pay o/w chrgs to a/l....We brought way too much!

My advice...pack lots of shorts, tank tops, and swimsuits...maybe one dress...sandals...sneakers if you are hiking...but if not, you will never wear them...oh, bring a hat too!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

Aloha kileygirl :)

I have always overpacked and regretted it because I lugged stuff around. Then I discovered I could mail things home, like souveniers and excess stuff. Most places have a hair dryer, so no need to bring one. But you might want to check first. This time I'm determined to have a carry on, and a backpack.

You can buy anything on Maui you'll need. You won't mind shopping for it because you're going to buy food, right? There are plenty of places to pop in and get those supplies, like sunscreen. Don't bring a lot of books to read. I've brought 2-3 books and haven't finished one. Bring one, period.

You can do laundry, once. Nobody cares if you wear the same thing over and over.

Things NOT to forget ~ any medications you may be taking, an extra memory stick for your camera, and a hat.

Have a great trip :)

jc

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

I am heading to Maui for the 4th time in October. It took me the first

2 trips to get the packing right.

My advice is to pack as little as possible, and carry on your luggage.

As previously stated, I too, stress over the thought of missing luggage. I figure that with a layover or two , your chances of losing luggage increase. (And have you looked out the plane window and seen the baggage handlers THROWIING luggage?)

You wil be accumulating souveniers, Tshirts, etc, and you will

need to fit all that stuff in your bag to come home, not an easy task.

Choose clothing that will roll up real small, made from thin fabrics.

Sometimes even t shirts take up alot of space if the fabric is thick.

Wear jeans and long sleeved shirt on the plane, so you dont have to put them into your bag. You will need them if it gets chilly in the evenings. In the past I have packed light jackets, and never used them. Shoes take up alot of space. Wear sandals on the plane

(you will need to pull them off real quick for security at the airport)

And bring watershoes! They are good for everything else, from

beach walking, shopping, to hiking through mud.

Avoid bringing heavy stuff -big books, hair dryer, etc. This loads

up your bag too much also. If you bring magazines to read on the plane, you can toss them before the flight home, to keep your bag light as well. If you forget something important , you can always buy it there. There is no lack of stores! I hope this helps

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

I think they mean ...

PACK LIGHT.

Aloha :)

San Diego
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

We also carried on. Things I am glad that I brought with me: cell phone charger, sunscreen (bought at a good price at Costco), Visine. Take an extra swimsuit so you always have a dry suit. (I underestimated the amount of time I would be in the pool or ocean).

That also sounds pretty obvious, but I only had one suit. Bring lightweight shorts! I brought one twill cotton knee length skirt, and 3 pairs of jean shorts, and never wore the shorts. They were too

heavy and uncomfortable there.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

Think cool and comfortable. But also realize that you will SWEAT THINGS OUT! Plan some time to use the laundry at your hotel. Take a light sweater for over-airconditioned places ... but other than that shirts, tees, shorts, sandals, tennies and socks.

FYI -- there is a common thread from folks who live on the Islands that tourists who run for Costco or Walmart when they arrive - rather than using local merchants - is really an insult to them. This would be a good post for some other time. Good discussion.

Stamps for postcards (and addresses). An empty fold-up duffel bag for bringing goodie home. Good quality sunglasses.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I leave 2 months from today for Maui...Any helpful hints???

BLBL writes:

FYI -- there is a common thread from folks who live on the Islands that tourists who run for Costco or Walmart when they arrive - rather than using local merchants - is really an insult to them. This would be a good post for some other time. Good discussion.

Stamps for postcards (and addresses). An empty fold-up duffel bag for bringing goodie home. Good quality sunglasses.

I love to go to local vendors as opposed to Walmart and/or Longs. I don't know where any are close to the airport. Do you have any suggestions?

About the stamps for postcards ~~ I purchase sticky postcard backings to peel off and stick on my photos and then use those for postcards. But having the backings ahead of time allows me to address them and stamp them before I even leave home.

good tips ~

jc