We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to tip?

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When to tip?

I am doing the following activities in Maui and would like to know when you would tip and what percentage:

1. Massage and luana spa in Hana (cost $95)

2. Getting meals (6) from Dish Simple (cost $86)

3. Motorized Hang gliding in Hana (cost $440 for wh and I and owner is the instructor)

4. Zipline for 2 (all the guides?)

5. OLL (for 2 cost $186)

Do I tip 20% like when eating?

I am trying to figure out how much cash to bring...1 week and counting!!!!!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to tip?

Excellent post--I need to know these things, also!

Summer

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to tip?

type in tipping in the search box ..you will receive a plethora of threads and posts to help you

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to tip?

I have a special PayPal account for exactly this problem. Just send 25% of the original event price along with a description of your "feeling" about the service and I will handle the rest.

Really takes the tough part out of the process ...

As always, at your service :)

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to tip?

I can only comment on the massage. For that you do need to tip. I do tip about 20%.

There have been many posts on TA about tipping for various things, so I recommend doing a search for those.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to tip?

I may be a vestige of the past -- but your tip should reflect the level and quality of service. Wonderful service -- tip as much as you want. Lousy service - tip as little as you want.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to tip?

I guess we are doing things that most don't do or I suck at searching b/c I cant find answers to my questions.

1. Is dish simple a place you would normally tip at? I have never used a service like this before.

2. Do you tip the owner?

3. Do you tip each guide?

4. Do you tip for a buffet like meal (I am thinking someone will be bringing the drinks so something is in order but is it a full 20%)?

If I get bad service, I do not tip and I do if I get good service if it is proper (If I get good service at Costco's I am not tipping is an example). I am just trying to figure out if I should tip and who for the actives I have planned.

Thanks to anyone that can offer any advice!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to tip?

We generally don't tip any tour guides, unless they've gone out of their way and/or they're REALLY good.

We always tip 15% at ALL restaurants unless again, the service was REALLY good. Then we'll do 20% or more.

We usually tip at buffets too, but nothing near 15%! We usually give $1-$2 per person depending on how many of us there are. Again, depending on the service.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to tip?

You're going to get a variety of answers -- so find the ones that you are comfortable with ...

I always thought it rude to tip the owner of an establishment ... but sometimes I do for hair, nails, etc.

Buffet -- we leave a couple dollars for the folks who bring the drinks and buss the table... not for the whole tab.

Guides - it depends on how good they were. I have had great ones and awful ones. I don't think this is required. It's like the guys who run the rental car shuttles at the airport. I never know what to do, but I sure appreciate it when they heave-ho the luggage.

I don't know what dish simple is ... but if it is a place where you buy pre-made meals - no, I wouldn't tip. If there is a jar at the register, you can drop something in there, I guess.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to tip?

Massage, etc. At home I tip 20%. I do the same in Hawaii.

Tours--snorkel mostly. We leave $5-$10 in the tip jar unless the trip was bad because of bad crew.

Buffets: We tip maybe 10%. Kinda high for just brigning water and taking away plates but what the heck.

Helicopter--have not tipped. Not clear pilots expect that.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to tip?

Thanks guys! That is what I was looking for...I knew you would come through for me once again!