We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flossie

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
338 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Flossie

Time to deal with this yet or is it too early? I'm guessing at the very least there will be some rain and swells.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flossie

Lovely! I leave on Sunday. I didn't know anything about it till I googled Flossie. I just made surf lesson reservations for my kids on Monday! Varied reports on when it will pass through but it sounds like I had better be mentally prepared for wind, rain and high surf next week. Could be a fattening vacation if I am left with only eating as an avtivity!

michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flossie

I would not stress yet! Have been on Maui 3 times when a hurricane was meandering towards the island... and they usually just swing away at the last minute. Leaves things hot and muggy as heck till the trades come back, or you may get a day of rain (like we had a few weeks ago when I was there).

One thing I would suggest to folks staying in a condo- check and see if they have flashlights, extra batteries etc in the condo 'just in case"- we were there in 1993 or so- there was actually a legitimate threat of a hurricane hitting Maui (the weather folks on tv were SOoooo happy to say something besides "sunny, 85 degrees with trades of 20-25...." for a change) The condo management was telling everyone where to go if it hit....They cancelled flights into Maui... yikes! And of course, there were NO flashlights or batteries (or bottled water, canned food, etc) to be found in the stores by the time we went out. So, while most just turn out to sea, at least take a look around the condo and make sure you know what you need, etc. Then relax and enjoy your trip. Make a few alternative plans if it rains just in case.

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flossie

Hopefully, Flossie will stay south and miss all the major islands. The latest 5-day cone from the National Hurricane Center shows the storm being south of Hawaii on Wednesday morning August 15 and south of Kauai on Thursday morning August 16. Of course, all you can do is watch and be prepared...Mother Nature controls it all. This was sort of the same track for Iniki, then she suddenly turned north and went straight for Kauai.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flossie

I'm there the 12th thru the 18th so it shouldn't effect any of my flights .(see you there taletimes!) I woke up this morning and turned it to the weather channel and was welcomed with "Hurricane flossie picking up strength and moving towards the Hawaiian islands"

I am fortunate to have lived in weather-free southern CA all of my life and have had 4 beautiful weather free Maui trips in the past. Weather happens so I'm not going to let it ruin my trip. Maui needs a little rain anyways right now! Only bummed that it may effect the snorkeling conditions (my favorite activity) and my husband and daughters trip to Oahu on Wed.

Thanks cebee- I will pack a flashlight!

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
338 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flossie

See you there moveme.....this is our first trip and I was hping we wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing, but it is hurricane season. Would hate for it to ruin plans....five nights in Maui and five in Kauai. I didn't hear or read anything today but a report I read yesterday indicated that it should stay south and the only effects would be 12-15 foot waves. Of course, Mother Nature may have other plans

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flossie

Ahh!! We fly in Wed. I guess all we can do is wait and watch.

Have added the flashlights to the packing.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flossie

tomaui

You are right.

It is following the same path as Iniki.

It was also forecast to stay south & then ended up turning almost straight north & directly into Kauai.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flossie

Dusty- I only want to hear happily ever after stories! I'm on my way in the morning. Hopefully we can get a beach day on Monday before the 20 foot waves kick in.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flossie

You can get updates here:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flossie

Thanks for the link Dusty- I'm leaving for the airport in a few hours hurricane or not!