We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VRBO: Any problems using them?

We have been looking into renting a condo unit through this site. We were wondering if any one has good or bad information or what should we look for.

We will be in Maui Oct 21-27, 2007

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

Just make sure whoever you rent from answers all your questions. If they have any problem doing so, even for the least important question then don't rent from them. Also, make sure you view interior photos of whatever you rent. Don't rent without doing so.

And, make sure you read the entire rental agreement including deposits and cancellation rules.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

We've not had problems the couple of times (once for Maui) we've used VRBO-listed properties. Using a VRBO-listed home for Kauai in December.

Ken

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

I always find it very helpful to check out their guest book and availability calendars. Not "guest testimonials" supplied by the owner themselves but the genuine Rentors.org calendar and guest book. The Rentors.org guest book can not be altered by the owner and acts pretty much like the feedback forum system on eBay so the words are right from the horses' mouth, so to speak. Also, take a look at the property's availability calendar. Places that are heavily booked at least 3 months in advance, even more is better, are obviously more popular than those struggling along with only the next several weeks booked. This is a good proxy for the rental community's current "vote of confidence".

If you have a choice, avoid units that do not display a genuine Rentors.org availability calendar and guest book.

This will generally keep you clear of the poorer values and rental agents masquerading as individual owners.

Aloha :)

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

I have used VRBO a couple of times. I have found that some owners answer quickly and some owners take several days to return an email. I appreciate a quick response - when I am ready to rent a unit, I don't want to have to wait for the owner(s) to get back to me over an extended length of time. I feel like it is a fore-shadowing of what could happen if something goes wrong.

Also, as stated above, make sure and check their rentors.org guest book and calendar. I have learned that there are several rental agencies on Maui that market all their inventory on VRBO as if they were the owner - the guestbook (if there is even a guestbook) tends to be empty and the calendar not always filled in.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

We own on Maui and run an ad on vrbo. Do get photos of every aspect of the condo that is important to you -- RECENT photos. Ask when the place was last refurbished. How old is the bedding? Ask about noise. Ask who you will contact on island if you have a problem and how fast response will be. Get somethng completely air conditioned. Can you charge your damage deposit?

I like to find a unit that's somebody's own vacation home, not just one of a string of condos they own and rent out and never use personally.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

We rent our Florida condo thru VRBO & has worked very well on both ends. We've rented units thru VRBO in Maui, San Diego, Miami, & Fort Walton Beach FL. We've had nothing but very good experiences. If something isn't clear, just ask questions, explain your hesitations, & ask for more pics.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

Adding to the above: We've used VRBO numerous times in Hawaii, here in New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Montana etc without, knock on wood, any serious complaints...almost all of the landlords have been super friendly, honest & accomodating. Also, a big added +: most offer returning guest discounts...we're staying at a places in Honokowai and Poipu, early next year, at prices well below general inflation rates..

Once you're close to making a decision, you might receive help from TA'ers if you posted with specific reference to the property including VRBO #.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

Learn from my mistake if A/C is important to you. When they say A/C, ask where the unit(s) are located (bedroom, living room, etc), if they are on timers, if there's a maximum temp you can set it at.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

rented an unlicensed rental without a/c (there's two red flags for you) through VRBO this past summer and loved it...renting same unit again next summer...the place was great for us...my only real concern for this unit was the lack of a/c but because it was above Wailea it got a nice breeze every afternoon...a/c was really not necessary...the year before that we were on S. Kihei Road and a/c was very necessary...and I can't believe how hot Lahaina can get compared to Wailea...so, know your area...look at the pictures they provide, ask questions...we were more than satisfied...

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO: Any problems using them?

Thanks for all the input we are using VRBO on Maui & Ohau, and if this works out we will be using this site from now on on our future travels. I wish we new of this site when we went to CO last year.

We will post when we return

Mahalo