We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on the famous "road to Hana"

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Driving on the famous "road to Hana"

This would be our first trip to Maui. We would love to drive on famous "road to Hana". With such limited time (5 days) we can't drive the whole way. (Maybe next time, because I know this wouldn't be our last.) What road would we be following? Looking at a map, we're confused?...37 to Kipahuu and up to Hana and back?

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving on the famous "road to Hana"

36 from Kahului, then continue on when it turns into 360. This road goes west-east along the island's north shore.

It's a nice trip; I think it's a good way to spend one of your 5 days.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
126 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving on the famous "road to Hana"

We had 5 days on Maui (May 5th to 9th) and we took 1 day to drive to the 7 sacred pools - it was so worth it! We left Kaanapali little bit after 8 am and came back around 5pm. This day was the highlight of our trip - I'm so glad we did it! We totally didn't plan it, we didn't have reservations for the lunch in the only 1 restaurant in Hana :-), so we ended up buying banana bread and a bottle of water on the side of the road - somehow we expected Hana area to be more developed, but we are glad we were wrong... If you decide to go there - go as early as possible, as later a bunch of tour buses will be heading the same way.

We drove from Kaanapali to the airport, then took right turn to Hana (there is a sign) - sorry, I don't remember all the #.

Level Contributor
867 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving on the famous "road to Hana"

Perhaps, start your day earlier, and go past Hana, all the way around the south side loop ending up in Kula.

Make sure you have plenty of gas and water. Aloha

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving on the famous "road to Hana"

Please drive all the way around, you have to turn around and take the time to go back anyway. Just start out early. We made it by late afternoon. We didn't make a ton of stops, just a few select ones but it's so worth it.