We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Obsessed

Cottonwood, Ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Obsessed

Okay, so I have a cofession to make...I'm obsessed. I've never been to Maui. We leave in less then a month, but I spend hours reading everything I can get my hands on, I have at least half a dozen travel books, not to mention a bunch of magazines. I've also recorded about 5 hours of programs off the Travel channelthat I watch over and over. Is this normal? Do I need therapy, I'm hoping I'm not going to be let down because of high expections. It's been a stressful year so maybe thats why the obsession. Any great tips for a first timer. Anyone else obsessed.

Jen

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Obsessed

Oh ya!! There's a bunch of us obsessed!! Don't know how normal it is but I personally could care less!! We went to Maui for the first time in '04 and are totally hooked!! We have been 3 times now and can't wait to return. We are really hoping to win the lottery so we can buy a house there! Seriously, we would move there tomorrow if we could. We are going to try Kauai in March '08 but we are going to Maui first. Have been to the Big Island for 1 day on a volcano excursion and were not terribly impressed, except for the volcano. We have lots of tips. I could write a book. Hopefully, one of the books you have is "Maui Revealed". If not, you need to get it (wizardpub.com). What would you like to know?

Diana

New York
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Obsessed

Hawaii will not let you down! My motto is plan a vacation each year and plan it for a year!

Cottonwood, Ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Obsessed

Hey--I like that motto. I'll be honest --we are usually cruisers--Alaska, Bahamas and Mexico, so Maui is a big change for us.

We have a few things planned but I don't want to plan so much that we feel stressed. I booked OLL about four months ago because we agreed that a Luau was a must do for our first time. I keep debating whether not to book a snorkel trip or should I wait till we are in Maui and hope for a last minute deal.

Okay, so here are some of my questions--some are kind of silly but you asked.

What might I bring from home that will make our stay in a condo easier?

With teenagers what are some must-do activities?

We are thinking about skipping on the Road to Hana because I have an extreme fear of heights? Is it that bad?

Okay, so here's one when I booked this trip I planned on loosing 20 pounds...since then...I gained ten...am I gonna be the only mommy on the beach without a bikini body? All the shows on the Travel Channel show a lot of extremely fit people. Is that just a selling point?

What's the deal with coupons at the airport?

Is it better to buy snorkel gear ahead of time, buy it in Maui or just rent. We rented in the Bahama's and it didn't fit well and I was a little grossed out by using something that someone else had.

Thanks,

Jen

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Obsessed

I like that motto, too! It's pretty much what we have done. You will like the OLL. We have been twice. The first luau we went to was at the Renaissance Wailea and it doesn't compare. The only part of that one that was better was the fire knife dancer, which OLL doesn't have. That's because OLL is more authentic Hawaiian and fire knife dancing is Polynesian. To answer your questions: You don't need to bring anything except comfortable, casual clothes. Even the limo drivers wear Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals(slippas). Cotton is best but anything comfortable works. As far as your stay in a condo being made easier, just think of it as a hotel room with a kitchen. Everything is there for you. We did some pretty cool things regarding activities. Although, if you are afraid of heights, one of them may not be for you. The zipline was awesome! My husband is a big guy and was not sure if he could do it. He was a little nervous. He got over it and loved it. There was another lady in our group that was really having trouble with the height and she did it, too. The kids would love it!! We snorkeled and I tried snuba. The first time was with Trilogy and the second was the Maui Magic. Both were good. The Maui Magic is a very smooth cat. We saw spinner dolphins going to Lanai with Trilogy. That was very cool! We booked Trilogy before we left and the Maui Magic when we were there. If you get an A3H card, you get discounts on a lot of things. Basically you have to shop around and do a lot of research online to find the better prices. We, also, really liked sailing on the America ll. We did that twice. If you don't go to Hana, you should at least go part of the way around West Maui, past Kapalua. There are some really cool sights. Just don't go all the way 'cause the road is worse than the Hana road, it's just a smaller section. Check out the Iao Needle. The road to Hana is not that bad. It depends on who's driving. The black sand beach at Waianapanapa Park is worth it. Start real early though, like 7:00 am, 'cause it does take a while and if you still can't go all the way around, you have to turn around and go back the way you came. Not to be done in the dark!! No, you don't have to worry so about your weight/looks! People don't care there. You see all types. Your in Maui! Enjoy paradise and relax! As far as the coupons go, they are everywhere! Some are good and some are a scam! Use the pearl coupon for the Pearl Factory. That's pretty reasonable. The snorkel gear thing is personal preference. We just snorkeled with the group activities so we used what they provided.

Hope this helps! Aloha!! Diana

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Obsessed

What a great answer with so much information. Now I have questions about your answers! What and where is the Pearl Factory and what was that card A3H or something you mentioned.

Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Obsessed

Hi Jen!

My suggestion for an activity "must do" for teens would be Blue Water Rafting. We went last May and it was AWESOME. I was 22 and my sister was 20, but everyone on the boat loved it. It's a snorkeling trip, but the highlights for me was seeing the Kanaio coast from the water and just being in awe of all the lava formations. And the bumpy ride was just so much fun - exhilarating because you really do have to hold on to the sides of the raft! We only had medium sized waves that day, so I can't imagine how rough and bumpy it would have been in high waves. Definitely check it out - it leaves from the Kihei boat ramp.

www.bluewaterrafting.com

Missouri
Level Contributor
783 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Obsessed

Oh no, you're not obsessed yet. Just wait until after your trip to Maui--then you'll be obsessed! I think planning the trip is half the fun! Another video you might like to get is at Mauionline.com

It's the visitor channel video from Maui and it is a great video of the whole island and all the activities.

I think your teenagers would like to surf or boogie board. Also , Lahaina is a fun town to visit at night with good places to eat. Don't worry if you don't do the road to Hana. You might ask your teens if they want to be in the car all day. It's a fun trip, but it does take up a day. There's plenty of other places to visit. A snorkle trip would also be fun.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Obsessed

The Pearl Factory is everywhere and it is a booth where you can pick an oyster, open it, and keep the pearl inside. You are guaranteed a pearl in every oyster and you never know what color you will get. I have been told that the uglier the shell, the prettier the pearl is. There is one in the Lahaina Cannery Mall and they are all over downtown Lahaina. The A3H card is a discount card you purchase through hawaiifun.org. It is quite useful. You can save money on activities, restaurants, etc.

I haven't tried the Blue Water Rafting. In fact, we were thinking about it, but were told that it was a rough ride and my back had been bothering me, so we decided against it for that reason. We also wanted to see the Kanaio Coast and found that the Maui Magic tours that area, too. We chose the Maui Magic for it's smooth ride and were not disappointed. We even had a surprise visit from a whale that came right next to the boat. Much closer than our whale watch trip. We snorkeled and tried snuba on that trip, with stops at Molokini and the Kanaio Coast. We hadn't done Molokini either so we were able to kill 2 birds with one stone. The crew was very good about keeping with Hawaiian Heritage by starting the trip with a Hawaiian blessing and talking story. We were a little concerned that the water might be too rough at the time to try the Blue Water Rafting. Haven't seen the video from Mauionline.com either. Will be checking it out though. The road to Hana is definitely an all day trip so I do agree that it may not be for everyone. We did it twice but did not have kids in tow.

Diana

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Obsessed

Yes - Blue Water Rafting is *definitely* rough so definitely not for those with bad backs or sensitive stomachs!! However for most the bumpiness is the best part of the ride. Sounds like you made a good decision though and I'm glad you got to see the Kanaio coast anyway!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Obsessed

Hi CoffeequeenJ (I love your screen name - got a big cuppa java in front of me ;-)

I'm planning a first time trip to Maui too, planning to get married, just the 2 of us, and also find myself getting obsessed with the planning too... bought Maui Revealed, check tripadvisor often, the frommers web site, etc etc!!!! It's so easy to get obsessed!!!! Just don't get yourself all stressed out. I keep having to tell myself that it's going to be a wonderful relaxing vacation, pick a few "must do's" and just relax!!

We are hoping end of Feb. or something. Still haven't booked anything. All these packages that I see lately are for travel in Oct/Nov/Dec. I don't know if I'm crazy not to have booked anything yet... but oh well! Wherever we stay and whatever we do, it's going to be on beautiful MAUI!!!!!! How much better can it get???

Happy planning :-)