We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo on Swimmable beach

caligornia
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Condo on Swimmable beach

Well now that we are pretty decided on Maui, we need to find a place to stay. We are looking for three 1 bedroom/ 2 bath (or 1 bath) with kitchen condos that are located on (not accross the street from) a nice beach in May. They must have really nice ocean views. Also, we are not hugely picky about the condo being update, sure thats nice, but mainly as long as its clean, we can live with 80s decor. Regarding the beach, i mean something where we can leave our building and basically be right there able to throw a towel on the sand and hang in a calm ocean, not big surf. While we will likely explore other areas and snorkeling, we need something calm and clean for the little ones we will be with. We dont want to be with a TON of people if possible, but as long as its not like Waikiki, we will survive anywhere. It would be nice to have some restaurants and shops within a walking distance, but its not totally a deal maker or breaker. Even better would be walking distance to some snorkeling beaches. Ive been reading a few reviews here about beaches with seaweed and stuff, and we really dont want that. If you have specific names of the resorts/condo complex I would appreciate it. Ive been getting better at my VRBO searches and can now kind of tell where places are located, but i like having the name of the complex so i can google it easily and check reviews. Thanks!

caligornia
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

oh and budget is about 250-350 a night!

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

We have stayed at a place called Papakea just north of Lahaina/Kaanapali several times. I think that it might be what you're looking for. But, rent from an owner on vrbo.com or search Google for "Papakea owner". Following is what I've posted in another message about Papakea.

- - - - -

As for the Papakea unit, we have stayed at this resort many times and love it. However, that unit is in a building farther away from the ocean than most of the others. Still, it's only about a minute walk from the building to actual ocean front. Another thing, the back side of the unit is closer to the parking lot than others in different buildings. You will will be able to see the ocean, the pictures on the web site appear accurate. The beach directly in front of Papakea disappears at high tide, but right next door begins a very nice beach in front of some other condos and hotels, which actually goes all the way to Kaanapali, if you want to walk that far (45 min to an hour at beach walk pace). Any more Papakea questions, feel free to ask.

To me, the beach is the best part about Papakea. Directly in front, the beach tends to disappear at high tide. However, right next door begins a very long and nice beach that goes all the way to Black Rock at Kaanapali. You could walk it in 45 minutes to an hour, depending how fast you stroll. On that beach are a few condos and a hotel, but the beach is public access. We have kids and have spent many hours playing on the beach and then accessing the shops/restaurants in the condos and hotel, and watching the sunset. When we want to go back to our Papakea unit, it's a 3-minute walk. Just as close as people who have units on that beach front. But, Papakea is significantly cheaper. Still, the grounds are well kept and it's a comfortable place. Each unit is individually owned, so you will get differences depending on when the last time it was that they remodeled.

Across the street is a full grocery store (Star Market) in a strip mall with a good italian restaurant, a dive shop, and other shops. Just down the street is a great fresh fish market. Papakea has barbecue units that you can use. I love fresh fish, so that's one thing I look forward to. By car, it's 5 minutes from Kaanapali and 10 minutes from Lahaina.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

I should add that we've snorkeled right out in front of Papakea as well as at the nice beach next door. There were some turtles hanging out about 50 feet off shore, very nice. There are a few other great snorkeling beaches very close to the area (drives of about 10-15 minutes or so). Maui Dive shop across the street from Papakea has good local insight about snorkeling in the area.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

In South Maui, going north to south: Sugar Beach Club, Hale Pau Hana, Kihei Surfside, Mana Kai Maui, Wailea Ekahi, Wailea Elua, Polo Beach Club, Makena Surf.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

Hale Pau Hana sounds like a good choice for you. The a/c is only in the bedroom. They are oceanfront on a very nice beach in S Kihei and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. There is also snorkeling there and on nearby beaches. They do not allow kids toys in the pool.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

Oceanfront is a priority for us. Here are our picks for being on a great swimmable beach and having a unit oceanfront.

Hale Pau Hana hphresort.com

The Sugar Beach Resort. VRBO

We have stayed at a few others as well but these are within your price range, good beach and no seaweed.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

Our family has always enjoyed the Sands Of Kahana. It has a nice calm beach, a resturant on the premises, two pools and a spa, tennis courts and nice accomodations.

It is only a few minutes from Lahaina and has an OutBack Steak House, Roy's and a McDonald's within a block and a half of it, as well as a market close by.

It is a nice comfortable location a little away from the hustle and bustle of the resorts in Kanapali. We enjoy it for our family of six with kids ranging in age from 18 to 26, and our granddaughter age 2 and a niece and nephew ages 8 and 14.

CA
Level Contributor
222 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

It sounds like you might like Kihei. Lots of swimmable beaches, and a good range of accomodations.

caligornia
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

thank you for everyones suggestions. this is making things much easier for me!

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo on Swimmable beach

Do you know about Wizard Pub - if you buy the Maui Revealed guide book there is a code in the back which gives you access to their aerial views of south and west Maui - can see the condos, all the buildings, the beaches. Everything is labelled; very easy to sort it all out. Can easily tell which are REALLY ocean front; how far the walk, position of buildings in relation to shorelines to tell if they have good views. etc.

This is a very handy tool for deciding on complexes.

You may have more choices for not only ocean front but good swimming, safe for little ones AND good snorkeling and withOUT crowds on south Maui; choose near north Kihei or Wailea rather than south for better ocean fronts