We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attn all maui pros

pasadena, ca
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
attn all maui pros

i will be in maui from dec 17-26 and need ur help i am taking my 6 yr old 7 yr old 11 yr old and 13 yr old i heard that groceries are more expensive there than here should i take breakfast cereals and stuff packed in luggage from here like people say i should? does anybody know if marriott ocean club will let me pay a fee or sumthin to use their pools for a day? any activities anyone can suggest will be greatly appreciated

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attn all maui pros

Things are more expensive, but not THAT much more.... we noticed that milk was noticeably more expensive and lettuce was sold by the pound.... in general, fruit, vegetables and meat were a little more expensive. (not the type of things you would pack anyway

When the produce was imported, it was more expensive... So if you have the space, I suppose that you could pack some things, but the savings will be minimal.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attn all maui pros

are you from Southern California one of the more expensive places in the United States. I would not worry about the prices differences. Milk is going to be more expensive, i've heard up to $8/half gallon in the more remote parts like Hana. I think it would be a little eccentric to pack groceries in your luggage.

pasadena, ca
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: attn all maui pros

Thanks everyone i agree i was like wat im not gonna pack food but they kept sayin i was like well let me chk with the pros first

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attn all maui pros

Cereal other than granola is hard to pack, it gets ruined. Pack peanut butter and stuff like that. Milk and cereal are very expensive, even compared to Southern Ca but you can shop sales or buy at Costco. Buying all the ingredients to make spaghetti sauce is expensive (as an example) so you can make that at home, freeze it in a ziploc, double bag it and pack all your frozen stuff together and it will be fine. Pack spices that you would use normally but just need a small amount of (lemon pepper for grilling,e tc). If you are making sandwiches remember that mayo and such are expensive and just plan around it.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attn all maui pros

are you serious, you mean make say spaghetti sauce at home freeze and take with you to maui???

i can see small amount of dry spices for seasoning in your condo but that is extreme ;-))

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attn all maui pros

I'm sorry you feel that is "extreme". I once took frozen steaks in marinade, spaghetti sauce, quite a few staples including premeasured bags of rice to cook and peanut butter. It depends on your budget I guess. This poster is taking four children. I took 6 kids one year and 4 one time, and it paid to take as much food as we could. Not everyone can afford to feed a family in restaurants.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: attn all maui pros

The food is more expensive on Maui - if you have extra room you may want to pack some breakfast cereals. I have never brought food to Maui, but this December I will be bringing a large bag of white rice and a large box of granola. Last December we shopped at the Kihei Safeway on December 24 and both of the above items were sold out. We ended up using Minute Rice for our Christmas Eve dinner - do not want to do that again!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: attn all maui pros

chicogirl .. i am totally understand about budgets and limits.. I too am taking 3 older children and a hubby that eats for 2 and possibly my younger sister. I would like to do some economical things but for us to pack "perishable food" on our long flight from Canada with a plane change I think it risky even for a savings.

we chose a condo for the very reason of cooking most meals to save on the restaraunt $$$ and hope it works OK but maybe if buying food there is so extremely priced perhaps we should re think going out for a bigger mid day meal and have more snacks, fruit and such.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: attn all maui pros

"...ingredients to make spaghetti sauce is expensive...make that at home, freeze it in a ziploc, double bag it..."

Or just buy a jar of sauce at Safeway for $2.50 -3.00

April, go to Safeway.com and use 96753 as the zip code and check the weekly specials. Comparing it to your local specials will give you an idea of the price difference. I did a quick check and this week you can get Safeway brand cereal 2 for $4; it is 2 for $5 at our store. Your price on Rice-a-Roni is $.88; ours is .99. I'd say not really enough to pack a suitcase full of food.

Although, I do usually bring back an extra bag full of Trader Joe's stuff when I visit So Cal.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: attn all maui pros

>>"I took 6 kids one year and 4 one time, and it paid to take as much food as we could"<<

Just one more reason to leave the kids at home and enjoy paradise with the significant other! ;-)

JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING!!

Don't start flaming me. Just having a bit of fun.