We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best car rental options for family of five?

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
best car rental options for family of five?

Any recommendations on car rental for family with 3 teens? Loved having a convertible on our honeymoon 20 years ago, but are there any open air options that would fit us comfortably?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

Maybe a PT crusier convertable but the problem will be what ever you get you may have issues with your not enough room for your luggage.

I think your best bet will have to be a mini van or bigger suv.

BTW hello neighbor.

san diego
Level Contributor
242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

We are also a family of five. I think that you are going to need the dreaded minivan or the SUV. There's just not enough luggage room in a convertible, not to mention that the kids will be very cozy in the back seat. My kids would probably whine about that despite being in Maui. I'll keep checking this thread just in case someone has a great alternative since the five of us will be heading over next year.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

A Chrysler Sebring convertible will not work ... and beware of renting any "midsize" car ... we did and ended up with a 2-door mustang (Midsize??)

Sounds like the SUV is right up your alley ... make sure it's a full size.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

For less than the price of a minivan you can rent 2 compact cars. Not a very family thing to do.

Just looked at rental prices for Christmas at Kahului and Kapalua airports, and was surprised to see that the rates at Kapalua are WAY cheaper. This doesn't happen often. But now you can get a minivan at Kapalua for $200 less a week than at Kahului. You can thank me later or just mail me a check now.

Of course that's not a lot of help if you arrive in OGG and have to find a way to get over to your resort.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

Thanks for all the advice. I think we will go with the full-size SUV as suggested.

Hey BrightonBill- surprised to see a fellow Brightonite on here!!

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

Hi

How far is Kapalua from Kahului?

Thank you

I want to rent a car for 2 weeks, but its just the two of us, so only need something small and economical.

Bellini

7. Re: best car rental options for family of five?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 08:17