We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Illinois
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Will be there 12 days in March starting the 1st., our condo has washer/dryer. Not sure on the best solution.

thanks

ft myers fl
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Buy it there. Some places like Target have a "sample" aisle and sell things like laundry detergent in a trial size. You'd hate to have something like that (assuming it's liquid) leak or break in your suitcase!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Before we owned I would always pack a few things, inlcuding baggies with powdered Tide, a stain-stick, powdered bleach, some water softener for rinses. This isn't heavy and doesn't take up much room. Then you don't have to pay triple for the little bit you will use.

I'd also bring a dozen plastic bags for kitchen waste. Most condos supply enough for four nights; then you're buying a whole package and only using a few. If you have some favorite spices, bring along some twists of those and salt and sugar or sweetening. My Scots grandmother would be very unhappy if I paid $3 for a box of sugar and only used a cupfull. LOL

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

First year I brought it with me, our daughter has very sensitive skin so I use Tide Free, where I found it at Walmart for the same price. This year I bought it there. Used exactly one carton in our 14 days.

Shepherdsville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

You may want to check with your condo. Some of them may provide it for you. When we stayed in Oahu our condo did. We had to ask the maid to leave it after we used the first box but after that everytime we were out she replaced it for us. They only supplied the detergent, no fabric softner or dryer sheets, so we ended up with some static, but as many loads of laundry we did we saved alot by using the provided detergent. We also came home with all clean clothes, which was the best!! Have fun!

Los Gatos, CA
Level Contributor
119 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Usually condo's have some laundry detergent in them anyway. If you are worried about having to buy a big box and leave it in the condo (gasp, lose 2 or 3 dollars).... when you are touring around stop at a laundrymat and my a couple little boxes for .50 cents each.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Hint: These are electric dryers. It's easy to 'bake' your clothes. Try using a short setting until you see how long you need to get clothes nearly dry, then hang them up and the Maui Trades will finish the job.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Bring the laundry supplies with. Takes up very little space in plastic containers.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

Those little "one time use" boxes are a $1 on Maui. At least bring your own fabric sheets as they are sooo light. I forget to bring them every year!! You will love being able to do laundry in the comfort of your condo and you should try to bring fewer clothes to optimize.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

This question absolutely amazes me.

First , why would anybody want to pack laundry detergent.

Second, why would anyone spend more than 30 seconds deciding whether or not to pack laundry detergent? If a person micro-managed their entire life in such minute detail there would be no time left to devote to truly imporatant decisions.

In my opinion anybody who wastes ANY time on this places no value on their time !!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pack laundry detergent or buy it there?

My question is why not bring laundry items? It may save a trip to a store to get some if there is not any available in your condo or a nearby laundromat that has detergents, etc.

Why should small containers of laundry items be any different than bringing toiletries? They too can be purchased fairly cheap.

If it fits in your luggage, bring it.