We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food for flight back to the mainland

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
363 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
food for flight back to the mainland

Will be flying from OGG to Dallas which is a long flight. On the flight over, American Airlines ran out of food in the row in front of me.

Luckily, we packed PBJ sandwiches from home just in case this would happen.

I know you can't take fruit and vegatables back home....but what about a sandwich to eat in flight?

Also any recommendations on what to take. I didn't know if you could get any food at the airport. I noticed that in Honolulu, you had plenty of food options once we cleared security. But the Maui airport looks a lot smaller.

Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated. thx...

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

Not a lot of food choices at OGG. Best grab something at the Maui Marketplace, Queen Kaahumanu food court, or some other eateries near the airport to take with you. Sandwiches are ok to bring. I have also brought soba noodles (cold Japanese noodle). You could bring fruits if they have cleared agricultural inspection.

Here is the website: …usda.gov/lpa/…notice_hawaii.pdf

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

kc-opk

If you bring a small cooler that folds up pack it up with sandwiches and snacks. You can bring food, just not liquids. I don't get that part because even water on the other side of the line is expensive. I think as long as it is sealed there should not be a problem. We would like to bring back some wine from HI and we can not carry it. I don;t trust packing it in a suitcase

Have a great trip

Mahola

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

I usually have a few snacks to take back, crackers etc and sometimes I will grab a sandwich in the cafeteria at OGG and throw it in my bag. We fly Hawaiian though and they feed us so usually a couple snack items take care of it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

If you are staying in west maui we always stop at subway in lahaina and get sandwiches to bring with us. You will have to get beverages at the airport becuase you can not get liquids greater then 3oz through security but food is fine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

A cheese shop in Kihei called "Who Cut the Cheese" (catchy name, huh?) makes really nice to-go lunches for the flight back...meats, cheese, small baguette, olives...really nice....

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Visalia, California
Level Contributor
391 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

The best thing I took:

Ambien

I took one right when I boarded the plane at 10:30pm, fell asleep 10 min after takeoff, and I woke up on the landing approach to Phoenix. No food or beverage needed.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

We stay in Wailea and always order sandwiches to go from the deli at Whaler's General Store before flying back to LAX. Well packaged and easy to take on board.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

We bought sandwiches to go from CJ's Deli for the trip home last time. Worked out nicely.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

We always go to the Da Kitchen and get a plate lunch and bring that on the plane, or we eat it at the airport!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food for flight back to the mainland

Great idea Shawn!!!!