We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

We are planning our 3rd trip to Maui next Aug, family of 5.

Love staying in Kihei, and plan that for the 2 weeks but would like to use our Air Miles for a couple of nights at one of the above. Which has the best pools?

We know we will have to get 2 rooms per night so we want to get bang for our points.

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

best pool = westin hotel

best rooms = westin villas

best location = sheraton

Based on your question above prob the westin hotel is the best for you. The pools are great.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

We all have our favorites. I think that bang-for-your-buck-wise, I would choose the Sheraton. It has a great pool and is on a wonderful stretch of beach. It is generally seriously expensive - so if you can get it free, go for it.

The Westin Ka'anapali is in the same neighborhood. Lots of pools in layers within a large courtyard. The hotel is in a U-shape. IMO, kinda claustrophobic and noisy. The sleeping rooms and public areas are not close to being as nice as the Sheraton.

I have never stayed at the Villas, but I think your family would enjoy the Westin/Sheraton stretch better.

bc_canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

aloha.. note: there is a free shuttle which runs between the Starwood hotels... WestinMaui, Sheraton Maui and the Westin Villas.. and also another shuttle which runs to Lahaina.. I stayed at the Westin Villas.. and took the free shuttles all the time.. you have to show your hotel room key to the driver as you board.. The Westin Maui has the best pools..

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

I'm a big westin villas fan-only one gripe-you cant use STARPOINTS toward a stay at the Westin villas due to its being a condo property.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

For a family with kids, I would choose the Westin hotel. Kaanapali beach is a great location and it is convenient to restaurants and entertainment. The shuttle is nice, too. For adults, we loved the Sheraton pool. It was very relaxing. Their beach is best!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

Ideally the kids can go to the Westin Maui for the pools while Mom and Dad go to the Westin Villas, a seriously comfortable place. Almost sinful, but not expecially a kids' place.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

They have wrist bands now for the pool issue.

You can ONLY use the pools for the property in which you are staying.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

I'm pretty sure if yo stay at the Westin Villas, you can't use the Westin pools. They used to let you, but the Westin pool got so croweded, they cut off reciprocal privileges. So if you must have great pools, stay at the Westin.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

I would opt for the Sheraton..best location and Hawaiian feel...

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Points-Westin Maui or Sheraton or Westin Ka'anapali Villas

Tough choice. We are SPG Gold and have stayed at both Westin and Sheraton (the latter with points).

The Westin is definitely better for families, particularly if you plan to just hang out at the fantastic pools. It is also a bit more compact and IMO more convenient as it is literally next door to Whalers Village which has many convenient stores for you and the family if you want to walk somewhere nearby. However Westin treats people like crap unless you pay to upgrade you will get crappy noisy parking lot view rooms (it's relative - they are 4* rooms and much nicer than any econolodge, but still the worst rooms in the resort).

The Sheraton treated us like kings on a free stay - gave us exactly the room we wanted (not a suite but a beautiful ocean view in building 6). The rooms are much nicer than even the renovated rooms at the Westin - nicer than any other Sheraton I've ever seen. The beach at the Sheraton is better than Westin but the pools are not as deluxe. The location is good but not quite as convenient as Westin.

Have not stayed at the villas but they are probably your best bet if you want to save $$ as food is expensive. But for a couple of nights you probably will go out.

If we go again we will definitely stay at Sheraton, even though it may require 2 rooms as our family keeps expanding :)

P.S. Kihei is great too, the condos are the best bargain on the island.