We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Prince construction--which side???

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
308 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Prince construction--which side???

The last couple of reviews mentioned construction "next door." Which side is it on--the side on the Big Beach/ Pu'u Ola'i side or the side closer to Wailea? Thanks.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

The south side, on the Big Beach side.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

I'd like to know too! I would think it would be the Wailea and side and not the Makena (Big Beach) side. I think #18 of the golf course sits on the BB side and I know there's some houses and properties (vacant lots to develop) on the Wailea side. Maybe a call to the actual Maui Prince Resort would be the thing to do, huh?

I think their website is just: www.mauiprince.com

Any one else with any info?

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

See there you go! Right after I open my big mouth NativeSoCal tells us the deal. Are you sure about that buddy? How far away from MP is it? Can't be right on the grounds of the resort or course? What's up with that?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

Too bad, that's the side we are on in January. We want the Puu Olai side for sentimental reasons. We aren't going to change hotels because the main reason for a 3 night stopover in Maui is to revisit the Makena area and besides we got a good price for oceanview prime. (Maui has just gotten too expensive for my tastes, compared to prices at the same places 5 and 10 years ago--no way I will pay more than I pay at Mauna Lani to stay on another island!)

I'll post a review in Feb. and report on how it's going.

Thanks for the heads up.

Paradise, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

We are headed to the Maui Prince on Nov. 4 and saw the same construction info. I contacted my good friend and travel agent and she called The Prince for us to get the scoop. Construction is on the pool side, or south side, or I believe the Big Beach side.

As for us, well we're going to go and see how it is. We really want to stay there based on the proximity of other, busier areas of the island. We have requested a room on the other side of the hotel and have an out through our travel agent should the noise be too much. I'll post a trip report when we return.

Still, how bad can it be? We'll be in Maui!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

Ok, I googled around and here is the construction on the Big Beach side:

http://www.maluaka.com/

Looks like they are moving the golf course or else the clusters of lowrise condos abut it.

The north of Prince construction is another big development behind the Surf, so it appears, it has some mname like "670" or however many acres it is.

Glad we will get to see Puu Olai again before it is all done, but I suspect we won't be visitng Maui again after this time. There was already too much "stuff" for our tastes in West Maui and with hundreds of condos in Makena, just too much stuff there soon, too.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

I was at Maluaka yesterday and the construction is just disgusting. There are dust fences up all around the ocean side of the walk from the public parking lot. Lots of heavy equipment and torn up ground . It is a ways from the hotel though. Even so, you will probably hear the construction. Thankfully they didn't work yesterday so it was quiet. The Maui Prince has been sold and they are trying to decide if they are going to refurbish it or tear it down. Still great snorkeling.

As for Wailea 670 it is still in the planning stages as it has been for the last 20 years. This will be, if allowed, mauka of Piilani Hwy. If allowed it will still be a couple of years before construction will be started.

Not sure about construction north of the Prince. I'll have to go check it out.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

Hey Msfuzz! I stayed at the Prince back in 5/2007 and glad I did.

This construction is so sad and shameful. (On one of their links, it pulls up a pdf file from a magazine....in the details...starting prices of the fancy units are 4 mil!)

Pretty soon...Big Beach and all that area. Please don't tell me it's a state park!

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am so depressed.....but thanks for your info Mr. Fuzz.

I'm gonna cry now...caddy

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

Thank goodness Big Beach is a state park. No plans to develop right on the beach but it won't be long before they start on the mauka side. I believe this is the area of Wailea 670, which means I was wrong on my first post. Sorry. So much development going on I can't keep up with it. This is a project that the people of Maui have been fighting for years and still are. It will get built, but with a lot of conditions. Still a few years left of undeveloped splendor.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Prince construction--which side???

the island is being ruined..plain and simple.