We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

Too much rain
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

As much as I hate those people lifting their carry-ons in and out of the overhead bins, being jostled and bumped on the head or shoulder more than once, I'm now thinking of joining them next trip.

Is it possible to bring 2 weeks worth of stuff for 2 people in 3 carry-ons? And a canvas bag, like a large purse, to carry wallets, books, and stuff needed for the trip? (Our airline allows 2 carryons per person and I've already measured them)

We have a washer/dryer in the condo, which is why I'm thinking about it.

Who has done it?

I'm thinking if we buy stuff, we'll just have to check our luggage on the way home, considering we'll be grouchy about coming home anyway, so what's another delay to pick up the luggage :0)

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

We always do just carry on, 2 bags...one each. And I still manage to have too much stuff. So if you each have 2 carry on, then you should have plenty of room. I hate the thought of my bags going to Fiji without me. I also hate to wait any longer than necessary for that first lava flow...

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

DS#3 (9 years old) and I got everything we needed for 6 days in ONE backpack. That included a laptop! So yes, I think you can do it.

DW on the other hand, had one large suitcase and a backpack. Kinda glad we did when it came time to pack up all the items she bought to bring back home.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

You can't take 3 carry-ons. One per person plus a "small" personal item - large purse, briefcase, small backpack.

It's even possible to take enough for 2 people, 2 weeks, 2 carry-ons. You really don't need much beyond swim suits, shorts, t-shirts, maybe chinos or a sun dress, depending on your gender.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

I think Caddy only packs a small toiletry case, his tanning lotion and wears his pink speedos on the flight

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

Carry on is the only way to go. We go every year for 2 weeks with carry on only and it is plenty of stuff. Who cares if someone sees you a couple of times wearing the same shirt? The best part is once you land you have a straight shot to the car rental shuttles and while everyone else is waiting for all their luggage, you are checking in with no lines and on your way.

Several years ago I convinced my wife that we could do a 21 day driving tour around England with carry on only. Now she won't have it any other way.

Waterville...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

Carry on only also allows you to fly standby if needed. If you have a checked bag I believe you have to fly with it.

ridebadger

March 22-April5 2008

148 days and counting.

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

I do use carry on but i'm a check in guy with too much luggage

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

Absolutely !!! Just buy your laundry detergent there or bring the dry stuff in a baggy. Just be really good about your liquids and gels being in the correct sized containers and in ziploc baggies.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

Caddy's got it made doesn't he. Really, how much space do you need for 3 speedos and a thong.

We can't get away with the carry-ons because we bring all of our snorkel gear. What a pain. The only way to visit Europe is with a carry-on only.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To carry-on or not to carry-on.....

Our snorkel gear goes in the carry on as well. The masks are in their own protective case and are really the only space consuming piece. The tube slides in neatly along the side of the suitcase and the flippers just fit laying on the top - last thing to go in before we close the bag. In fact, I was obsessive enough about making sure they fit that I had a tape measure with me at the dive shop when we bought them :-)