We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

Aloha,

I'll be visiting Maui the last week of January for 9 days. I've done a ton of reading on this site and several others and read my guide book cover-to-cover. Now I'd like to cover the last base of my vacation planning: Personal experience. If you all would be so kind as to offer your opinions/experiences I would greatly appreciate it. :)

So, here we go:

Jan 28th -- arrive Honolulu 4pm. Check in, chill out

Jan 29th-- Pearl Harbor, drive around Oahu, possibly drive up to North shore and see the big waves.

Jan 30th-- check out of hotel, take inter-island flight to Maui. Check into condo (Kahana Beach).

Jan 31st-- Sunrise at Haleakala, bike tour down (possibly using Cruiser Phil... guided bike tours have been suspended inside the park... but they still take you up and then begin the tour outside the park @ 7,000ft)

Feb 1st--- Rest, take in the beach, use my Snorkel Bob snorkel set.

Feb 2nd-- Road to Hana (renting a jeep, packing a lunch)

Feb 3rd-- Rest

Feb 4th-- Maui Eco Tours whale watching kayak expedition.

Feb 5th-- Rest

Feb 6th-- Take flight back to Honolulu, leave for home.

Opinions, ideas, personal experiences greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Tom Barefoot's Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Maui Reef Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Let Me Show You Maui
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Eco Tours
Queen's Treasure
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

It's a good plan - you're wise to rest every other day. Of course "rest" can include really good snorkeling in your area. Don't forget Napili and Kapalua beaches. If you're a luau person you will need advance reservations for the best ones such as Old Lahaina Luau.

Get started VERY early on Road to Hana day. You don't want to be driving back after dark.

The Haleakala and whale watch tours are excellent. The only other formal activity I might recommend is going over to Lanai to snorkel - snorkeling Lanai is INCREDIBLY beautiful and still unspoiled. We did Trilogy's all day excursion.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,371 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Old Lahaina Luau
Old Lahaina Luau
6,602 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

Sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully you are renting a vehicle the whole time you are on Maui and not just for the Road to Hana day. I would suggest after you arrive on Maui, to take the quick side trip to the Iao Valley near Wailuku, not far from the airport. It's a pretty little area, lush, lots of history, and is not far out of the way. Then you can drive to your condo. You can pick up good maps in the baggage area of the airport.

Perhaps on one of your free days, you could drive to the upcountry area, maybe the winery, eat at Kula Lodge, shop in the quaint and artsy town of Makawao.

If you like comedy and/or magic, make reservations (soon) for the Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show in Lahaina. My hubby and I thought it was a fun evening.

If you want to spend some extra bucks, take a helicopter ride on this beautiful island.

Snorkeling seems to be the favorite thing to do here, so you will want to do that several times. You will definitely enjoy the whale-watching! Have a great time!!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
90 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailuku
Wailuku
Maui, HI
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely have to check out wine country. We're renting a Jeep for the whole time on the island so we can get around whenever we want.

I was considering a luau, but I don't really think that's my thing.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

The only thing I see that may be difficult is to see Pearl Harbor AND drve around Oahu all in one day. Since you won't be checking into your Maui hotel until 3 p.m. anyway, possibly you could stay Oahu longer on the 30th and do Pearl that day, taking an afternoon flight HNL-OGG.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
berkley, ma
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

Pearl Harbor and drive around Ohau can not happen in 1 day. Pearl Harbor is 3-4 hours to really see.

The rest of your plan looks good

6. Re: Itinerary Opinions, Please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 13:18