We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car in Maui

Minnesota
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Renting a Car in Maui

Is it best to rent a car in Maui? Or what's the best way to get around?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

imo its the only way to get around ---if you are a costco member you might want to check out their rentals

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

Look up .....hawaiicarrental.com.....gives you a good idea of prices on all islands with all rental companies.

Just a warning.....be sure to spell the website name exactly, there are some look a likes that are not quite as easy to navigate.

Ditto, last poster, a car is the only way.

I was on Maui last week and paid $3.57 for regular gas in Kahului.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

Oh, yes -- you need a car. Easy to pick one up at the airport (with reservations). We all have our favorite companies and ways to book. We like Hertz and book direct with an auto club discount.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

A car is definitely a necessity on Maui. There are too many things to see and do, and the only way to get from one place to the other is by car (unless you're only there for 1 or 2 days and decide to take guided tours).

Advice on renting a car - BE CAREFUL about car "upgrades". Though this happened to me on Kauai, it wasn't the first time I've been offered an "upgrade". On my visit last year, I was offered an upgrade to a "convertible", and the second time it was a "mid size" (I had reserved a compact.). When I declined both times, they asked me to step outside and wait for a supervisor/manager to bring my keys to me. After about 10 minutes, the manager came out, apologized for the wait, and told me that I was indeed getting an "upgraded" car - a mid size, with NO increase in the price from a compact. Not sure if they were out of compacts, or if they gave the agent a commission for giving me an upgraded car (and tried to get me to pay the increased price). Whatever you reserve in advance, stick with it and don't fall for an "upgrade" when you check in to pick up your car.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

When car agencies ask me if I want to upgrade I tell them ok if it is a COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE.

Otherwise forget it.

We booked a compact on Maui last week and when we got outside to get the car they were "giving" away Jeeps, at no extra charge, since they were short of compacts. It was fun but the Jeep sure ate up the gas ($3.57/Reg) and I got a back ache from climbing up and down into the car, it was so high!

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

Do they always ask you if you want an upgrade? And is it their intention for you to pay more money?

When we arrive at 9 pm on a Monday evening, will there be a line up at the car rental place? Should my Husband go get luggage and I go get the car? Is it easy to go back and pick up my Husband at the airport after I have the car? I think most of the cars are in lots down the street from the airport. I have only been to this airport once before and can't remember anything about it. Is it easy to get around?

Thanks.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

As I recall, they don't use the word "upgrade" unless they're giving it to you at the same price as the car class you reserved. They will tell you that they have "special deals" on the higher-priced rentals, and that's when they are either trying to get you to "upgrade" just because they think you might like a bigger car....OR they do it because they are out of the class of cars you reserved. If the latter situation is the case, and you decline, they MUST give you the "upgraded" car at the price you reserved.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,816 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

Last Feb. and Feb. '08 we've rented through Costco's Travel Dept. and got a better price than I could find by phoning other agencies. We always reserve a compact or even a sub-compact. Sometimes we get what we reserved; often we're given a larger car (no add'l charge). There only so many of each size car on hand. The booking via Costco has been with Alamo; no charge for spouse added as a driver. Small is fine for two people. Nothing is terribly far on Maui and gas has been closing in on $4/gal.

Whenever a huge plane or two arrive, the rental agencies are busy, with lines. It still should only take a few minutes to get your car. I collect the luggage while DH goes for the car, but if I plan on driving we have to return to the rental counter so that I can be listed as second driver. By then the line has usually disappeared. Luggage comes out pretty fast. The longest I ever waited was about 15 minutes because one bag was delayed.

Virtually every visitor rents a car on Maui. The public bus has a slow and limited schedule and taxi's are extremely expensive. (I think $3 per mile.)

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

If we decided to rent through lets say "Budget", could we find a local one in our home town and sign papers there, and save time once we got to our destination ( Maui) ?

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a Car in Maui

Unfortunately, all of the documents have to be signed at the time you physically pick up a rental car. That is also when you have to present a major credit card. I'm not aware of any car rental agency that will let you simply arrive and pick up a car without waiting in line to (a) present credit card, (b) sign documents, and (c) pick up your car keys. The only alternative is to maybe enroll in one of the car rental agencies' special programs (RapidRez, FastBreak, etc.) to expedite things at the rental counter. I'm looking at those possibilities for my next visit.