We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Well, trying to wrap my hands around the trip is proving to be quite a handful so I guess I'm going to launch a new post with some additional insight/suggestions. Other comments may dribble out from time to time.

Warren & Annebelles: SEE this show! SEE this show! SEE this show!!!!!!! Though it's a magic show (and an AMAZING one at that) the main thing to know about this show is that Warren (the magician) is Hilarious!!!!! Probably the funniest act I have EVER seen anywhere, anytime, under any conditions. My wife complained to me half-way through the show that her face was hurting from laughing so much - and I believe her. People return again and again (for good reason) - one guy there said it was his 3rd time at the show. You'll laugh till you cry and you'll be AMAZED at Warren's magic feats. You are all up close and he even lets you film (he's that good). A couple of times his tricks brought stunned silence from the crowd. He warns you gleefully that "This trick will keep you up at night" - and man is he right! SEE this show! SEE this show! SEE this show (book in advance because it fills up)! Trust me on this.

Ulalena : An "OK" show that would have been great had the rest of the show been as spectacular as the last 3 numbers. The old Asian woman performering near the end of the show really creeped me out and reminded me so much of the ungainly ghost from "The Ring" - or even more so - the spirit from "The Grudge". Pretty darned freaky that woman was!

Food at the Greek Bistro was very good - though my wife (a baklava lover) thought their version was only so-so (dispite the rave review in "The Blue Bible" (Maui Revealed).

Food at Da Kitchen was plentiful but a bit too salty in my opinion. You won't go away hungery however.

Dining at Momma' Fish House was a very pleasant experience (ate there for my wife's birthday). Food was very good (though perhaps not quite as great as I'd been led to believe) and masterfully presented. Ambience of the place was terrific. Black Pearl dessert is drop-dead gorgeous to look at. Not a fan of bitterseet chocolate however, so for me, it looked better than it tasted. Still, all in all, a great experience.

Kahekili Beach (in West Maui) was absolutely beautiful with terrific snorkeling just offshore. Not really the best choice for me personally as I felt like the surf was trying to suck me out, but for people a bit less chicken of the water than me (and that includes most of you out there) it would be a terrific beach with lots of fish. I got beat up pretty good by the surf and still loved the place.

Mokapu Beach (in front of the Renaissance Wailea) was a great snorkeling beach for poor swimmers as there are lots of rocks/coral heads just off shore in fairly shallow water and a pretty good amount of fish. May favorite beach over all.

Maluaka Beach near the Westin Maui Prince was a really great beach for swimming - though snorkeling seemed poor.

Hamoa Beach near Hana was really beautiful and does indeed have great bodysurfing. Disagree with James Michener that it looks like a South Pacific beach though.

Kamaole 3 Beach was surprisingly nice - and especially handy for us as we were right across the street at the Kamaole Sands

Kamaole Sands has gotten somewhat mixed reviews here. The grounds were very, very nice indeed and the location terrific - not far from the ritzy (and more expensive) area of Wailea and across the street from a terrific beach. The issue has been that some of the units are in need of refurbishment. We got around that problem by renting a specific unit from the individual owner rather than the managing company. That way we got a unit that WAS recently refurbished (unit 101 in building 5) - and for nearly half what the management company (Castle) asks for their units (we paid $99/night for a 1 bedroom/2 bath ground-floor condo across the street from the beach).

Wailea and Ka'anapali/Kapalua areas are just gorgeous, with wide tree-lined boulavards, terrific beaches and plush resorts. Kihei is an "uplanned" beach town - not exactly beautiful, but clean safe and fun. One night we did catch a pretty horrid smell coming off the water near Kalama Beach Park. This was likely the drainage ditch mentioned on page 160 of the Maui Revealed book. Don't know how the surfers hanging out at the cheaper eateries there were managing to choke down their food. Most of the time however there seemed to be no smell in the area, and on that one night, only the small area mentioned seemed affected.

One final thought (and it may seem a weird one): Looking across Ma'alaea Bay at South Maui from southern West Maui felt like I was looking at "Ringworld". For those of you unfamilar with "Ringworld" - it's a world created by Sci-Fi author Larry Niven. The place is a giant ring around a star where everyone lives on the ring on the side of it facing the star. The end result is that when you look into the distance, you see the land curving away upwards into the sky until it fades from view in the haze. Looking across at the slope of Haleakala reminded me of paintings (cover art from Sci-Fi books) of Ringworld, with the land curving upwards and revealing forests, meadows, towns and villages but seeming to somehow still be flat. It was truly remarkable and I never tired of staring at it.

Ken

Mentioned in this post
Hamoa Beach
Hamoa Beach
134 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Now this man knows how to write a review! All of your feedback, positive or negative, is very welcomed and very tastefully written. Thanks again.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Thanks for your post. Your reviews has been very informative.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
194 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Lord Balfour:

I enjoyed your descriptions of Maui and the South Pacific very much. This is off-topic, forgive me, but what made you pick the moniker "Lord Balfour?" I assume you were thinking of Arthur Balfour, the author of the Balfour declaration? Just curious. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Northwestnerd -

No, I'm not a writer by trade (it's just a hobby)

... and although I do have a BA in history - (originally planned to be a history teacher but the bottom fell out of the teaching market about the time I graduated so I took some time off school then went back and got a computing degree so I could actually get a job) - the name LordBalfor was does not relate to THE Lord Balfour. Rather it stems back from my first days with AOL and the fact that KenKlein, KennethKlein, and all the other versions of my name were already taken. In desparation I chose the name of a character in a fantasy novel that I'm slowly (and occasionally) writing. He's actually an evil character, a necromancer (sorceror who specializes in the undead). I'd always like the name Lord Balfour and thought it had an ominous ring to it, so I took it, changed it slightly and adopted it for the character. It was a spur of the moment thing to take it as my initial online handle, but once I had it, it stuck.

Ken

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
194 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Lord Balfour (or Balfor)

You should seriously consider taking up writing as a profession. Your contributions here at tripadvisor are exceptionally good. Thanks for answer to my question.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Thanks for your wonderful reviews. The have just solidified my decision to go to Maui within the next year. I was just thinking that I would go back again to Oahu, but now I think Maui is it for sure!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
montana
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

LordB- I love reading your reviews. What are your top 10 places that you have been? I haven't traveled in the last 7 years and I'm just starting to get back at it. I hope at least 1 decent trip a year. This year it's Maui in Sept, my first time and I'm already thinking about the next year.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Junkie - Don't know that I can put together a real "top ten" list, but here's some places I really like:

Most beautiful place overall (mainly because of the INCREDIBLE lagoon: Bora Bora (Yosemite Valley a close second). My visit there was almost a religious experience and I can honestly say, changed my life forever.

Most Beautiful Island: Moorea (island itself, not the lagoon (which is beautiful too, but second to Bora Bora)). Didn't see much of it, but what we saw was simply gorgeous.

Most Beautiful Motu (islet): One Foot Island (along the reef at Aitutaki). It has the single most beautiful setting I've ever seen.

Favorite Island overall: Rarotonga - developed enough to have everything you need but not too developed (and with a wonderful lagoon)

Island with the most to do/best balance of beaches& activies: Maui

Island with the most beautiful coastline: Kauai (also my favorite Hawaiian island)

Favorite city: Quebec City (old walled part of the city in particular). Most romantic city I've seen

Second favorite city: Vancouver, British Columbia (most dramatic setting- especially North Vancouver (where the city climbs up the mountainside)).

Most beautiful part of the mainland (lower 48) states of the USA: Pacific Northwest (home for me).

Seen a few places across the USA and lived in Europe for much of my childhood, so I've seen a bit of the world. Still lots more to see though (so little time, so little money- *sigh*)

Ken

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
NY
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

Really enjoyed reading about your thoughts on Maui and your other travel favorites. Makes me want to visit the lagoon at Bora Bora.

I've wondered about your screen name as well. Thanks for asking, northwest; and for explaining, Ken.

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of additional thoughs on Maui

I second, third or fourth that, you have exceptional talent for describing your surroundings. You should write for a travel magazine, or the chamber of commerce for Bora Bora! Makes me want to schedule a trip ASAP!

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora