We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling yet?

WEST JORDAN
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling yet?

We are only here (West Maui) for three more days and would love to go snorkeling. Anyone know if the water is clear enough and where the best areas might be? Would Molokini be any better than along the shore? Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,847 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling yet?

We come in winter when there are often storms of varying severity. Boat-based trips are usually the first to get good again because they go out past the stirred up sand and also can go to places where there isn't sand but where foot access is nigh-impossible.

Check out boat trips to places besides Molokini--Coral Gardens might be Ok by now...

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling yet?

I would not shorkel Maui for several days more...

I would suggest going over to Lanai.......as a way better option than Molikini..........whoes coral and fish population has been all but gone.......its a way over used place....

Lanai would be much better....no runoff and wind sheltered

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,847 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling yet?

The sand at manele bay can get stirred up; I'd call over and ask the folks at the hotel what conditions are like.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling yet?

I wouldn't snorkel from shore just yet. There could be a lot of bacteria in the water near the shore.

If you can't make it over to Lanai to snorkel, don't give up on Molokini. It isn't as bad as dan makes it out to be. There could be a lot of people but the coral and fish counts are fine. Call Trilogy and see what they have to offer.

WEST JORDAN
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling yet?

Lots of people said the snorkeling was horrible after the storm so don't even try, but we were there and hadn't ever snorkeled on Maui so didn't have anything to compare it to. We ended up going snorkeling in three different places:

1. Coral Gardens off Mile Marker 14 in West Maui. Still a little silty, visibility about 10-15 feet, but we saw lots of fish and an eel. The coral close to the surface is a little scary and I got a scrape. The bay there is very protected, so not much ocean movement. Pretty good snorkeling.

2. Black Rock in West Maui was probably our best spot. We went early in the morning and had maybe 20-25 feet visibility. Tons of fish and we saw TWO turtles. One of them swam right underneath him and we followed him for awhile. Awesome. They're HUGE! Accidently "fed the fish" as I got nauseous and threw up. I think it was motion sickness because I didn't swallow any seawater at all. You should have seen the fish around me! Hundreds of them. But I still don't recommend that method of attracting fish!!!!!

3. Makena Beach, south end. We had heard that this was a great place from a guy who had gone there the day before. Granted, it was later in the afternoon, not early in the morning, so there was much more ocean movement. Pretty cloudy, but we still saw tons of fish. Probably a school of 50 huge fish. I don't know what kind they were, but they were beautiful. Least favorite snorkeling site, BUT as the day wore on, it turned out to be perfect conditions for boogie boarding!! I had to drag my husband out of the water when it was dark. That was our last day on Maui and then we came home to 18 degrees and snow falling. Brrr......

6. Re: snorkeling yet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 03:20