We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fake Tan

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fake Tan

Do you go to a tanning booth before you go somewhere hot in the Winter? Why or why not? Are they really that bad for you if you only go in them once a year?

What kind of suntan lotion is your favourite?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fake Tan

yes they are bad for you and yes I go. I like to be tan before I go and I am well aware of the risks. Our friends daughter got a fake spray on tan last spring before we went and when she went in the water half of it came off, she was all spotty. I like Bullfrog for sunblock.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fake Tan

Atually, tanning in a booth is not a fake tan. It is real, and very damaging. That said, yes, I have done it before, but for the last trip, I didn't because I'm just getting too darn old and wrinkly already to let myself subject myself to more damage. I'm content with a very light tan, and try not to tan at all on my face to minimize damage and wrinkling.

Bullfrog Gel is the best IMO.

Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fake Tan

Also, you may get a tan in a tanning bed but due to the different type of rays, you can and will still burn in the real sun. That said, I do it too. For the color and I develop very bad sun poisoning-tanning bed or real sun-so I try to expose my skin to some (very little) of the rays before going out in the intense sun. This helps just a little.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fake Tan

I don't like tanning beds. We've all heard about the dangers. As an alternative, I used a tanning gel on my legs and arms every day for about 3 weeks before our last trip to Maui.

I didn't want to scare anyone on the beach with my white legs! Anyway, it worked real well(L'oreal Subime Bronze in "Medium Deep") You've got to apply it evenly after a shower when your skin is clean.

Within a few days on the beach I got the "real" tan.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fake Tan

Just a theory, but if getting a head-start on tanning will reduce the temptation to over do it once you get to Hawaii, then it seems as though booths can be justified as the "lesser of two evils".

Years ago, in response to a friends skin cancer, we did our best to avoid getting tanned and coped with "didn't you go to Hawaii this year?" questions for weeks after returning home.

As with everything (the one exception being chocolate covered Macadamia nuts), moderation is the key.

As to favorite sunblock, I like Coppertone Sport sunblock (pump) spray; it's SPF 30, semi-waterproof and non-gooey (can't stand those sand magnet lotions).

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fake Tan

I've tanned prior to trips - not so I don't burn or anything like that because I know I will - I just feel thinner when I'm not stark white. It's an illlusion, I know, but it makes me feel better in a swimsuit. I always cover my face and now even my chest though on the rare occasion I go to a tanning salon.

Romulus, Michigan
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fake Tan

I go to the tanning bed before vacations even though it is very bad(I make sure I go to the dermatologist once a year to get moles checked), and I'm glad I went before we went to Maui because I would have fried. The top of my head where I wear my part did burn pretty bad.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fake Tan

Same with me, I get checked every year. I have pretty olive toned skin to begin with so I do tan easily. And yes, as stated you still need to use sunblock even though you have been tanning, the sun is so much different and stronger.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fake Tan

Hi

I always thought that if I got a base tan, that I wouldn't burn as much when I got the real thing. So that's not true?

I don't have really white skin, and I tan well, but I always do burn a bit in the beginning.

I always use Ombrelle Sunblock. I start with a 30, then go down to a 15. I think this Sunblock is Canadian.

In the U.S. which Sunbock is supposed to be the best?

Tualatin, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fake Tan

My husband and I go tanning before we go any place sunny i.e. Maui, Mexico, etc. (which is about once a year) Yes it's terrible but it really helps us cut down on the burn factor once we arrive. We also dont look like looking beached white whales if ya know what I mean. We do make a point of gradually getting the tan a good month in advance in the booth before going on the trip. That way your not rushing it and can gradually build up your tan. I would suggest wearing 30 sun block on top of the tanning bed tan. You still get a good tan and protect your skin from any further damage.