We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

We stayed at the Westin in January and paid big bucks. I keep reading the reviews of people who have spent significantly less than we paid. We want to go again next year,but I will feel really dumb if I don't find a discounted rate.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,420 Reviews
Maui, HI
Algonquin, IL
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

Try priceline, I paid $125 a night.

www.biddingfortravel.com shows some bidding techniques

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

I paid $125/night as well via priceline. Will also depend upon the time of year.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

thanks-I will give it a try. I thought you couldn't bid on specific hotels on Priceline-I've never tried though. Were the rooms you got okay?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

Try VRBO and rent at the VIllas with a family they are great! Cheaper than renting directly from the resort.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

read www.biddingfortravel.com

You bid in the resort area of Kaanapali I believe you can get the Whaler which would be unfortunate but you also may get the Hyatt or the Sheraton. It's a risk you run when bidding. As of late there has been an influx of winning bids for the Westin. I haven't seen any one win the Sheraton in awhile.

I had an 11th floor mountain/coastal view. 11th floor is the top floor for Starwood members. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,440 Reviews
Maui, HI
5,420 Reviews
Maui, HI
canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

Wotif.com has last minute rates at the Westin for $184.night including taxes. But you can only book max 28 days in advance. They also have the Westin Kaanapali villas for $194/nt including taxes. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
5,420 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,440 Reviews
Maui, HI
Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

You don't. Stay at The Whaler next door in a 1100 sq ft condo for half the price of a room with two double beds and a crapper the the Westin.

Mentioned in this post
5,420 Reviews
Maui, HI
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

I checked alot of sites online before we booked anywhere and we wound up going with Expedia with a deal that worked out to about $220/night for 10 nights in early April. You could tell that Expedia was offering a huge deal from the amount of "savings" shown in the quotes. I priced it out at a few different times of the month to see whether the month and/or time of the month (i.e., including 2 weekends or just 1) made any difference. (FWIW, I don't think it made any difference to have a 10 day stay including 2 weekends instead of 1, but there *was* something going on with when the vacation started or ended -- it had to fall within certain days to get the best rates).

Anyway, it was a lot of trial in error and really sort of a big pain in the neck, but we got a good hotel we otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. And the good thing about Expedia is you know what you're getting when you book it -- none of the guessing that goes with Priceline. But there *was* what looks like a pretty significant tradeoff in prices, so YMMV.

Good luck!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

(BTW, though, the bad thing about our rate is that we have the lowest grade room possible, so I'm sure our view will be of some palm fronds or a big concrete parking lot. Not optimal. Also we wound up reserving for April which is probably considered low season. So all things considered between the view and time of year, you may not have done too badly. I still recommend checking out Expedia, though. Good luck!)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how do I get a good rate at the Westin?

Westin the Villas north of Black Rock or Westin the hotel south of Black Rock.

Starwood sends great offers for the Westin hotel from time to time ... $795 for 5 days? Something like that. Really cr***y rooms and they try to get to you upgrade and pay more. The try to talk you into visiting their timeshare and offer you certain goodies if you do.

So -- if you call the Starwood desk at the Westin hotel and say you want to view their timeshare, they may put you on the list for the offer ... eventually.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
5,420 Reviews
Maui, HI