We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Trip Report-Part Two

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Topic
My Trip Report-Part Two

This brings us to Day 3- Which according to my agenda,just another non-itinery day. We got up real early and hit the beach at 6:00 am. I brought the camera hoping to get some really nice sunrise shots...lol only to realise the sun was coming up on a different side of the island...lol Oh well, got some cool pictures with shades of black and blue hues :) We loved Charley Young Beach !! anytime of day. If you go to www.mauirealestate.net, you will find a web cam for that beach and can judge it for yourselves :) After beaching it for a few hours we drove over to Lahaina to check that out. We found the Tommy Bahama store that we had purchased from 2 years ago and happily walked in. Hubby bought some shirts and we were sad to learn they were closing that store, nice people and the best deals for Tommy on the island,that we saw anyway. It was back to Kehei and a couple more mai tais...We walked over to Lifes a Beach bar with the intentions of having a few, when we heard this incredible guitar playing coming from a little bar in the back. It was obviously a local watering hole and with some trepidation, we went in. The sounds coming from this hole in the wall bar too strong to ignore. The bar was called Kahales Beach Bar. I wont recommend this as a great tourist type bar, because its not,and so it is what it is, and we have been in worse. The live music offered daily, the very real local flavour made up for the short comings at least for us, and still I must point out that it is not for everybody. If anyone here is on the island tomorrow Sat.16/08 You can see this musician and others at the free whale day concert at Kamala Park, Kehei between 9-5 . The band and musician is Vince Esquire. He is a 22 yr old local boy, with fistfulls of talent.That boy could wail on that guitar. He sounded very Stevie Ray Vaughn. Altho, I was told his real inspiration is BB King. Hard to even fathom a 22 yr old who even knows who that is. Anyway, we heard he just finished travelling with Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers and had signed a contract with Sony. Honestly this guy is that talented. He plays at Kahales every Thurs night and really fills that bar.We bought his t-shirt and a couple of his cds too.

Day 4- Friday ...our first itinerary planned of the trip. Off to Lahaina to hook up with Paragon for our Lanai snorkel tour. Got there,had a quick breakfast bite at the pioneer inn, (alright) nothing memorable, and then headed to the dock in search of our boat....which was not there! Called them and learned that trip was cancelled. They had tried to calls us at the vista but werent put thru. Note to self to include cell numbers for all bookings...I thought I had but apparently missed that one. Anyway, we decided to drive to Paia and check that area out. We knew we were planning on doing the drive to Hana and figured we wanted to hit this town beforehand so we could have time there and not be rushed during the Hana drive. Hope I'm making sense. Anyway, we walked all over. Went in the stores, looked at all kinds of stuff, but found it to be a rather expensive place to shop. In my opinion no deals there. We did manage to find a small shop for shaved ice and I enjoyed my very first one ever. Hubby ordered his with vanilla ice-cream and I opted for the original. Not Bad ! Back in the car and drove to Hookipa Beach to watch the surfers. Snapped a bunch of pictures,marvelled at the waves, it was cool. Decided to head back to Kehei and take advantage of our Alexanders coupon. We ordered the battered Ono and fries with an order of onion rings and a side of their mango salsa. Total $24.79 The fish (yep fish 4 me again !) was very good. Not too greasy, but hey it is deep fried food. Nothing dripped anyway. I thought the mango salsa was just so so and the onions rings nothing like I've had before. Hard to describe the coating, but definately not battered like the fish. It was also good. Thats was the end of our day.

Sue

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

Thanks Sue. Were they Maui onion rings? I fell in love with Maui onions. Everyone asks me if they taste like Vidalia onions. But they taste nothing like Vidalia onions. They don't taste like onions at all really. Your trip report was about more than onion rings but I have them on my mind.:) Mahalo for the report!

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

Thanks again! Now I'm craving fish and chips.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

always enjoy reading these trip reports,brings back all the memories thru someone else's perspective,did Paragon give you the reason your tour was canceled?

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

1.onion rings, I believe maui onion..lol to tell you the truth, the coating is what intrigued me the most.

2. the fish was good !!

3. Funny thing about Paragon-I was told the (first time) it was cancelled due to weather. Once back at the condo, I called them bck to re-schedule and was told the reason trip was cancelled was due to not enough people. Guess it depended on who you asked but I figure the latter to be true.

Sue

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

Hi Sue

What a great report. We are leaving in a week and thanks for the heads up on Kahales. I will definetly check that out one Thursday evening.

You were very concerned about the forcast before you left. How did it turn out? I too, am a little worried about the weather when we go. All this week it shows sun, but what does that mean for next week? UGH!

Bellini

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

Bellini- Our first full day (wed) was a little iffy. Not perfect but not bad. The rest of the trip awesome weather. Hubby actually started taking credit for bringing the nice weather..lol

Again, I want to add about Kahales, it is a real local bar. We were the only visitors that I could tell,that were there. We didnt have any problems or anything,if you do plan to go, but we minded our business and enjoyed the show. We went back again for other musicians other nights as well but Vince Esquire was the one that really stood out!

Sue

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

Very cool. Glad you found a little hole in the wall with great music.

I told my kids we were going to Alexanders for fish when we get to Maui. They don't like fish but I am sure they will like just about anything deep fried. If the portions are big, we can all share.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

Julauf- Sorry but the portions arent big enough to share....especially if you're hungry ! :)

Sue

9. Re: My Trip Report-Part Two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:16