We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

Hello,

I am planning my May honeymoon which is split between Kauai and Maui. On my list of want to dos is surf lessons. I am not in great shape, and not always a quick learner, but I have always wanted to try to learn to surf. So I need a teacher who is very understanding a patient.

Is one island better than the other as far as learning? Also can you recommend a good lesson, probably private for my fiance/husband and me?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

My husband and daughter did the lesson in Saikiki last summer and it was great. We then went to Maui and they rented boards, but the surfing there isn't that good. We also watched a couple companies giving lessons in Lahaina and the waves were very small--you could barely ride them. Kauai is supposed to have much better conditions for surfing than Maui. You can take lessons in Poipu easily.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

You can find surfing lessons in Po`ipu (south shore) and Hanalei (north shore); you can choose whichever is closer to you.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

Nukumoi Surf Shop in Poipu, Kauai. Great instructors. That's where I learned.

houston
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

From the previous posters, it sounds like Kauai is the way to go. We just got back last week and surfed two days in Lahaina, the waves were great. It is very rocky though. My advice is not to waste your money on private lessons. You said you are not in great shape and you will be doing a lot of paddling if you are in a private lesson. Group lessons are small enough with enough time between surfers to catch your breath and will be a lot less money.

kilauea, hi
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

Aloha! The short answer is Kauai; Hanalei Pier is one of the best beginner places in Hawaii, but surf will be low in the summer. Poipu Beach, on Kauai's south coast has very good beginner waves, winter and summer.

On Maui, learners do try Lahaina, or nearby Launiuopoko Beach Park--but the best plase is Canoes, with is between Charley Young Beach Park and Kalama Park, in Kihei.

Truth is, Waikiki Beach is a great place for learners. Maybe too much of a big-city vibe for honeymooners.

Take at look at the planning guide, NO WORRIES HAWAII, or at one of the Trailblzer guides for all the islands by Jerry and Janine Sprout. They cover all this stuff, including recommended instructors.

6. Re: surf lessons Maui or Kauai ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 08:16