We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokai Ranch closure

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Molokai Ranch closure

Be sure to read the Honolulu Advertiser concerning the sudden announcement of the closure of the Molokai Ranch, Lodge, golf course and theatre. It is going to really hurt employment on the island. I hope someone steps up and buys the Ranch and keeps the people working. A lack of support for expansion of condos, etc. may have been the cause for the Malaysian based company to close. What is an island to do? So sad.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

with correct planning on the part of maui county there would have been other, smaller, businesses permitted to operate. no one island or town should depend on only one employer without the backup of other opportunities. there are not enough places to stay here which are affordable. if incentives and permits were given out and the process to get them was streamlined (something they are now at least talking to do) there would be a small but successful eco-tourism industry here to keep people employed.

success is only as good as leadership which encourages it.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

sadly that is correct.. the ranch will be closed nb the end of thew month forever. The reason, local eco activists turned down a paln thqa the ranch wouuld donate 855 of it entire holdings for conservation... But thqat was not good enough for some locals whho preached, from squatted on land. that all Molaki rseidents want to live off of hunting and fishing...and farming their own food.

Molakai is . now a hostile and dead island.. totlay turned against tourism. 15% unemployment...family against family...its for the next few yerar or longer going to be civil war there...........it is presently family against family.... of a population of 7500... over 500 persons are effected.

With the closing of the ranch also comes the closing of schools, Part of the water system,THEATER,, homes for over 50 families, Health care. ... and more.

This is a classic case of poor judgement

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

not that drastic, hawaiidan. we have some tourists sll year round. moloka'i ranch is too expensive and most of the cottages sat there empty. wavecrest, hotel moloka'i, moloka'i shores and westside condos of kaluakoi, ka nani kai, private accommodations and one busy b&b in kaunakakai are accommodations to choose from but there aren't quite enough to go around. i think that the pu'u hoku ranch will pick up where moloka'i ranch left off. it's beautiful there in the east end. there will never be alot of tourists here, and i think that is ok, and best for the island. many are repeat visitors and some come here every year for a few weeks every year.

i wonder what will become of the beautiful lodge.

what is sad is that the locals are pegged against one another over moloka'i ranch's plans.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

Hale....

What is sad is that the entire structure of the placid island is turned into a civil war among residents. The ones who wanted to let the ranch develop 200 lots in a remote area. And the eco-activists who would not settle for being given, at no cost, 85% of the entire ranch to them.....they held out for 100% being given to them.

Today in Honolulu, several of these activists, who had been convicted of violent criminal acts, such as arson of ranch buildings and illand water syatems, spoke out... They said all Molakai residents can live off fishing and hunting..and growing their own food.... Which is great to tell a housekeeper mother who just got fired..... "go hunt and fish fot your needs..like in the 1700"s."

The rANCH has tried for almost a decade to work with locals....but a few did not want any of that being offered free 85% of the ranch to be donated to public conservation lands. in return for the ranch keeping just 15% of what they bought and paid for.

Clearly....not enough to satisify some activist locals who want the ranch to donate the entire ranch to them.

..Given that long history of hate against all outsiders. from a few locals.. there is no company, investor or conservation group will ever step in.....It is such a totaly negative and sad place.........Many a long term visitor has cancelled their plans to visit such a divided and torn island.

I predict that within 2 years Molaki will be the deserted isle.

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

Was there such a negative attitude on Lanai when the plantation closed? I am of the belief that some capitalist (maybe a Murdock?) will see the potential on Molokai. Perhaps by the time that happens, the residents will come to some middle ground as to how to keep Molokai safe from over comercialization and still allow for progress and employment. Who in their right mind would want to raise children on an island where education is inferior and there is no hope for a future? They really need to come together. Otherwise, you may be right. Molokai could become like an Indian reservation.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

I don't think the current owner will sell. He will just let it go fallow for a few decades then try something else.

As to the comments that the folks living there can live off the land, does that mean the activists are going to be paying their morgatges and taxes for them since they have no income now? How about health care and educatiojn, they aren't free, is the whole island going on welfare without contibuting anything by way of taxes on income?

This is really sad. If you lok at the big picture what the owner was asking for was not unrealistic and in fact would have fixed what is wrong with some of the other islands....he was giving away 85% of his land to conservation which means they can never build tons and tons of condos or big box stores.

Well the activists cut off their noses to spite their faces in my opinion.

The only up side is the other accomodations (what few there are) will be able to pick up the slack.

Glad I got to visit Molkai while the ranch was still open.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

it will be interesting to see if the visitor numbers will drop. so far everyone i talk to is happy with the friendliness and tranquility they experience here and hopefully they don't see much of the tension. i live here and only read this stuff in newspapers. on our side of the island it's life as usual. i am an optimist and feel that this stuff will blow over. on the surface, the county and state leaders are very concerned about the livelihoods of the affected residents. but i maintain that wisdom has to prevail to allow and promote small ag and home-based businesses to pick up employment opportunities for individual families. this has been stifled because of a business unfriendly planning department. perhaps they now will see the light. there is much unused talent here and all they need is the permits and the tools to make things work. what some folks perceive as "laziness" is just a symptom that encouragement is lacking. we are all in this together.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

The company that owns the Keawa(sp)? wind farm have pledged 50 million to help buy the ranch. They need more investors for help. Maybe someone else will step in. Don't put all the blame on the activists. They have some good points. Also, this big conglomerate that owns this property isn't really hurting in the bottom line. They have the attitude that if they can't play in your backyard, they will just pick up their marbles and go home. If they cared about the employee's they would have found a way to negotiate a settlement.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

"The company that owns the Keawa(sp)? wind farm have pledged 50 million to help buy the ranch."

You are assuming the owner actually wants to sell the ranch.

Also it is hard to tell if they are making money on Molokai or not, they lump all their investments into one basket. If they are not making money then I can see their point.

I guess If Maui was offered 1/4th of the island undeveloped in exchange for a couple hundred home development they would jump all over it.

California
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Molokai Ranch closure

The activists have overstepped their mandate by intimidating many that live on Molokai. The Planning Commission has also not shown enough leadership in considering perspectives other than the activists.

What is needed is new investment to redevelop the Kaluakoi Hotel and the Ranch as limited eco-tourism destinations; just improve what is already built. At this point killing off West End transient vacation rentals also just adds to the poverty and unemployment, and needs to be re-thought.

The people of Molokaithough,would need to hold at bay the activists- no one is going to invest there in a climate so negative, where other points of views and Haoles are not allowed. It is very sad. If they can't resolve it themselves, the Commission should bring in a redevelopment expert to mediate. Enough is enough!