We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

dallas
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

I hope I'm not comparing apples and oranges here. I have heard really great things about all these hotels. Which one is better for a honeymoon. I know the Fairmont and Grand Wailea is more expensive, but is it worth it?

If we are comparing the same room type (Ocean View) for the above hotels, which would you choose and why. I need to book decide soon because I'm going first week of May. Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

This question comes up quite often. Here is a link to the most recent one.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g609129-i10595-k18…

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

Well... IMO you are mixing. The Fairmont and GW are in the same upscale class in terms of both accommodations and service. But when you add the Sheraton to the mix it kinda is apples and oranges.

Don't get me wrong, the Sheraton is terrific and one of our favorite places. But not quite the quiet, laid back, high touch getaway environment that the Fairmont offers. If you are looking for a West Maui property to compare the the GW and Fairmont, consider the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua.

And definitely do a search in this forum. There have been many recent discussions on this subject.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

Out of those three, imo the Fairmont. Many here like the Four Seasons, which is similarly priced.

The Fairmont rooms are very large, and out of the two we saw, both were in excellent condition and nicely furnished. They originally placed us over a noisy outdoor kitchen, but moved us when asked, that's why we saw two rooms. Pools are nice, beach is excellent, restaurants are ok. Overall we had a great time.

The GW rooms are in desperate need of a re-do. The pool was pretty busy while we were there, but not as overrun with kids as stated here. Frankly, I don't really spend time at the pool on vacation anyhow. Dh and the teens might hit the pool for a short time, but they are more interested in the beach. The grounds at the GW are beautiful, and while it may not be my first choice, I would stay there again if needed.

We haven't stayed at the Sheraton, but have visited and also spent time at the beach. The hotel and grounds are nice, kind of plain compared to other resorts, but very peaceful. The lobby and interior are low key and quiet comparatively speaking, and the rooms are rather plain. Overall though it is good choice, it's on the best part of the beach imo, and there's something to be said for peaceful :-)!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,908 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

It depends on what you want to do. I like the location of the Sheraton (Hyatt & Westin) better than anything in Wailea.

But I love Wailea for just relaxing and I love the Four Seasons & the Fairmont and do NOT like the Grand Wailea.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

For a honeymoon:

The Four Seasons or the Ritz

The Sheraton is nice too and has a free shuttle to Lahaina which is very convenient.

The last choice would be the Grand Wailea as it is really huge and the pool area is crowded by screaming kids....

dallas
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

I'm traveling in May, which is considered as low season for Hawaii. Ok, let me rephrase my question. Sorry that I'm comparing apples and oranges between the Sheraton vs Fairmont. Sounds like it's a no-brainer that the fairmont is more upscale and in a different class. The difference in price is not that significant. For $1000 more, I can stay at the Fairmont instead of the Sheraton for 6 nights.

Now, would you go with Fairmont or Sheraton?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

Personally I would do the sheraton so I could be in west maui. It is in one of the best locations in maui. Also, if you can get yourself booked in an ocean view in building six you will be on top of blackrock. This is a more remote section of the resort.

The fairmont is nicer but I'm not a fan of south maui to stuffy for me and not enough to do.

The Ritz is another nice option but its a 15 minute drive down to kaanapali and lahaina

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
423 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

Better check availability - it could be a moot point. We tried to book in Mid-May at the Grand Wailea, and it was sold out.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

We far prefer West Maui to South Maui. We have stayed at the Sheraton several times and it is our favorite. The location is ideal - close to Whaler's Village, yet at the end of the beach (Ka'anapali) by Black Rock - so it is quieter. Buildings are graciously spread out along the beach, excellent food services, rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. It's always our first choice. And it's not snooty.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotel?. Sheraton, Fairmont, or Grand Wailea

AlAoha tinman, love the screen name, Anyway here is alink to a site called Mauihawaii.org

mauihawaii.org/hotels-condos/west-vs-south.h…

It would be best to decide which side of the island to stay at first. Then the hotel. This site will help you do that. We stayed in Kaanapali and Wailea which gave us a nice over all experience.