We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

Boston
4 posts
Save Topic
Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

Thanks to all of your help, I am booking my trip today. It will for 6 days during the first week of June. Over a 6 day trip, is it worth it to pay $100/night extra ($600 for the trip) to stay at the Ritz over the Sheraton or Westin? It would also be about $1100 more than the Royal Lahaina which people seem to like. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should take the cheap route or expensive route.

Thanks again for your posts and support!!!

Tustin Ranch, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

I would go with the Sheraton. I stayed at the Ritz 3 years ago over new years and it wasn't as impressive as my stay at the Sheraton a year later. I also stayed at the Royal Lahaina this past Spetember and really liked it as well. Just not as much as the Sheraton.

You should be ablt to find a lot of info on here about the sheraton from the users. I think this is your best bet and will not be disappointed.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

If you want more seclusion, go to the Ritz. I'm sure that you will like it!

If you want more access to restaurants, shops, catamarans, etc. - stay at the Sheraton. I don't recommend the Westin unless you are bringing kids and unless you have a large room.

Don't forget to factor in resort fees, if any.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

I think you may find that the Ritz is INDEED now worth it, as it just recently re-opened after over $150 million put into upgrades and it's simply spectacular now!

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

I agree with BLBL. Sheraton has better location if you're looking for more action, activities, restaurants, etc. Would love to stay at The Ritz Kapalua someday though.

Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

Hands down, the Ritz Carlton is well worth the extra expense.

We stayed at the Ritz 5 days last month, and it was spectacular. The rooms/bathrooms/lanais are casually luxurious and well furnished. The service was top notch. The pool area was relaxing and not too loud.

We stayed at the Westin for the final night of our vacation and disliked everything about it. Our room and bathroom were unimpressive and dismal. We'd upgraded to an oceanview room and were disappointed to find that our view was 3/4 rooftops and one small sliver of ocean. The pool was overcrowded and loud. We belong to Westin's Starwood frequent guest program and have stayed at many Westin properties. The Maui Westin was the most disappointing property we've encountered.

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton, so I'm unable to comment on that property.

If you're looking for a relaxing, luxurious, secluded hotel, then the Ritz is perfect. If you're looking for lots of activity and people, then the Westin or Sheraton might be a better bet.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

The Ritz is a bargain right now, post-renovation. Go for it!

New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

$328.50 per night at the WESTIN with AAA rate...

That is almost half...I think Westin is great location and Kaanapali Beach is one of the nicest beaches in Maui...in my opinion...

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

No way I would ever compare the Ritz with the Westin.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

The Sheraton is great. It is on a great beach and close to convenient dining, entetainment and shopping. The Ritz has spent $$$ rehabbing, but it is still far removed from everything else and is not beachfront. The best rooms will be distanct ocean views. The beach is quite far away in comparison to the Sheraton.

10. Re: Is the Ritz Kapalua that much better than...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:18