We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it about Maui?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
What is it about Maui?

I've been there 3 times, but havent been in at least 15 years. I still yearn to go there over anywhere else.

What is it about Maui that has this effect on people?

Tustin Ranch, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it about Maui?

Well, it's as far from my work as I can get and still be in America.

San Diego
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it about Maui?

That's like asking "Why do you like to be alive?".

Because I do.

...and to answer the thread question, everything about Maui is what has the effect on me. Mainly tho' I guess it's the laid back attitude. My like dat!

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it about Maui?

Some places touch your soul with their their own cadence and it feels good. You want more.

Maui is such a place.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it about Maui?

i'm going to maui for the first time in june (even though i was originally booked on an ATA flight). i've been to oahu before and loved it.

when looking at other vacation spots, they just seemed like beaches and fancy hotels, sometimes mayan culture and good diving if you're lucky.

hawaii seems like a step above the others with its the rich history, volanoes, diving, surfing plus the great beach/resort atmosphere.

i'm really excited about checking out maui.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is it about Maui?

scubatimm and I are on the same page!!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is it about Maui?

Well, I have been to many tropical destinations and Maui (over Kawai'i and O'ahu) seems to be the place were my heart is. I like the history of the indiginous people there (the whole Polynesian demographic), the landscape, the geologic history and story behind the islands, the water, the waves, the smells....

Being new to this board I came to realize that I wasn't alone in this addiction to Maui, but I got to thinking about what separates Maui from say, St. Maarten or Jamaica or the Caymans.

I guess I have spent more time in Maui, but there seems to be a more dynamic nature to the nature of Maui over The Caymans for example. You get all the best from the water (surf and snorkel), you get all the best in "retail" (not just a million banks), you get a unique and varied geography (volcanoes, plains, highlands, tropical rain forest)....still trying to pin my fingers on what it is but this is a start for me. Maybe I'll figure it out when I make my return.

Seacoast NH
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is it about Maui?

The many places you have good snorkeling from shore, watching humpbacks, the sunsets, the sheer diversity of ways you can experience the land and the ocean, the sun that is so warm but not brutal (in winter), the walks, the mai tais and coconut syrup on my pancakes are part of it for me, but how can you say it all?

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is it about Maui?

I like it because I feel comfortable there and am familiar with the lay of the land. I first went when I was 18 in 1981 and have been back 8 times since.

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is it about Maui?

i'll echo the first caller-its as far away from

my work and nor-cal as possible

not to mention -its gougious

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is it about Maui?

"What is it about Maui that has this effect on people?"

It is as close to heaven as most of us will ever get to on earth....I have traveled the globe and there is no other place that even comes close to Hawaii...