We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

I am spending several days on Maui and will want to see Haleakala, drive the road to Hana, take a ride up the west coast,etc., but I do not want to move around from place to place. I want to stay in one place and then take day trips. I don't mind long drives.

Is there an area you would recommend to stay that would be centrally located for all these days trips? The south shore, up country beyond the airport but before the beginning of the road to Hana.

Names of particular towns would be very helpful. We are not big resort people, we tend to prefer B&B's, inns, cottages, etc.

Thanks!

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

I'd get a condo and stay in So. Kihei; then you can go either to Lahaina, Kaanapali/Kahana or upcountry to Haleakala or to Hana. I view it as a good midpoint. You don't say when you're going, but if it is in July-Oct., I'd recommend a condo with air conditioning. Plus So. Kihei has beautiful beaches with snorkeling right there, if you're so inclined. Check vrbo.com; you'll find some interesting houses and cottages in I think it is "other lodging" or a heading something like that in So. Kihei.

Boston
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

Maui is a small island, just 48 miles long and 26 miles across at its widest point. It doesn't matter where you stay, especially if you don't mind long drives.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

If you stay in Kihei, it'll save you 15-20 minutes each way going to Kahului and back but like Rusty/Bud says, Maui is a small island and you'll do fine just about anywhere. If you want to stay on the leeward side of Maui where you can expect sun and dozens of beaches useful for snorkeling, swimming and being lazy, try Kihei in South Maui or Napili, Kahana, Honokawai and Lahaina in West Maui. Lahaina has some B&Bs but Lahaina can seen pretty busy. The other areas have mostly condo accomodations and by looking at wizardpub.com you'll get a good idea of what the accommodations look like. On the windward side, you might like Haiku, Paia, Makawao or Kula. These are not close to any resorts and you may have to check on whether they are licensed vacation rentals. Check vrbo for listings on the windward side of the island.

You will have far more choices for restaurants and shopping if you stay on the leeward side but that may not be your idea of a Maui vacation.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

Sorry, Kula and Makawao are upcountry.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

I would stay in Makena (Prince) or elsewhere in South Maui (Kiehi, Wailea) depending on budget. That way you only need brave the traffic to West Maui (Kaanapali and Lahaina and norht) when you go there. If you stay in West Maui, you have that traffic to go anywhere south of Kaanapaili.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

JRGK wrote:

Names of particular towns would be very helpful. We are not big resort people, we tend to prefer B&B's, inns, cottages, etc.

Aloha!

I stayed at a wonderul B&B in Wailuku on Maui's east side. It's not on a beach, but it was so easy to get to places! I didn't have to go thru the traffic in the central valley area as the B&B is located right on Hwy 30, and I felt like I was taking backroads everywhere without traffic. I didn't have any problems getting anywhere and I thoroughly enjoyed staying in Wailuku.

It's the Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono. Tom and Janice Fairbanks are the owners and they have a WONDERFUL thing going there. The breakfasts are KILLER ~ I found the whole experience positive and a perfect Hawaiian vacation.

It does NOT have a pool. It is NOT by a beach. It is a B&B in a neighborhood in Wailuku, 3 miles away from the Iao Valley. I was able to go to Lahaina and Ka'anapali to whale watch in 30 minutes?, shot down to Kihei (15 minutes?) for the Whale Day Parade, went on several walks around Wailuku after a day of sight seeing, Iao Valley is minutes away, and went to Makawao and Pa'ia with no trouble, and Ho'okipa beach beyond Pa'ia on the Hana Hwy. I used a little over half a tank of gas the entire trip.

I loved the place. The beautiful West Maui Mountains are right there ~ right outside my window. It was great!

BUT ~ it is a different kind of vacation than one normally thinks of having on a Hawaiian Island. But for me, it was perfect.

http://www.mauiinn.com/aloha.html

jc

7. Re: Good Location to Stay for all Island Touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 00:18