We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Ferry

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Super Ferry

Has anyone sailed on the new super-ferry between Maui and Oahu?I read that had started its service but as yet not seen postings.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Ferry

Service between Honolulu and Maui begins again on Monday, April 7.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Ferry

I wish to leave my car at the terminal in Maui ( is this the airport?) to take the ferry. Is this possible for an overnit or two? What is the cost?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Ferry

Disregard location.....I see on the site.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Ferry

with the demise of Aloha...and the rapid rise of airfares....the ferry is now almost half of the airfare.....And Friends who have taken it love it...super comfort and facilities....

It costs $55 for a car each way...what would parking and re renting a car cost??? why not consider taking it? drive on drive off.... no hassel

We on the Big Island cant wait to get out service next year....

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Ferry

Please don't take the Superferry.

It is operating without any concern for the environment.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Ferry

The SuperFerry is a viable form of transportation between islands.

Ignore the eco-nazi and the scare tactics that the SuperFerry is the end of the world as we know it.

Glad it is back, I'll use it whenever I can.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Ferry

"the eco-nazi"...hahahahahahaha!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Ferry

"The SuperFerry is a viable form of transportation between islands.

Ignore the eco-nazi and the scare tactics that the SuperFerry is the end of the world as we know it.

Glad it is back, I'll use it whenever I can."

A judge heard the case & determined that Superferry should have had an environmental assessment before they operated. He also determined that there was merit to the environmental issues brought forth by the groups opposed to the Superferry operating without an environmental assessment & stopped the Superferry from operating in Maui.

How sad it is for Hawaii that the Lingle Adminstation passed a law that allows the Superferry to operate without any regard for the environment!

How sad it is that anyone will use or recommend to others to use the Superferry before they have addressed the environmental issues!

I am not against the Superferry. I am against the Superferry operating without addressing the environmental issues.

Until they have addressed the environmental issues, they are not a viable means of transportation.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Ferry

Can we all just stick to the OP's question here? You can argue the pros and cons of the ferry in the Advertiser or Bulletin forums. The person just wanted to know if anyone has been on it not is it a good choice.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Super Ferry

The Superferry had sporadic sailings since the beginning. They started, then stopped, then had many problems with rough seas etc. It finally had to go into dry dock in Honolulu for repairs and scheduled maintenance. It hasn't run enough to know how well it will do. They had to cancel just as many trips as they took.

Now that the airlines are gone and the winter weather is basically over it has a chance of making it. The fares will be low at least until June. It will make 2 trips to Maui a day.

There are those who are for it and those who are against it. Each side has valid reasons for their opinions. I do take exception to being called an eco-nazi, because I am against it. Name calling never settled any differences.