We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kahului airport to Hana

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Kahului airport to Hana

My flight gets into OGG (Kahului) airport at 1:45pm. I am renting a car after I pick up my luggage and thinking of driving to Hana. I am not as concerned about making stops along the road on my way to Hana (I can make them on the trip back towards west Maui), but I do want to make it to Hana before dark. Do you think this timing is too risky? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

In addition, what time would I need to leave Hana to make it to the Kaanapali beach area? (not making a round trip). Thanks!

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kahului airport to Hana

The drive to Hana from the airport is about 2 hours...plenty of daylight this time of year to make it to Hana before dark.

Apparently you are staying in Hana????

Drive time to Ka'anapali is about 3 hours +/- traffic concerns on the way. If you are making stops...add for that and I guess it depends on when you want to get the Ka'anapali......

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kahului airport to Hana

I guess I was not very clear while writing my original message :)

After arriving @ the airport, I wanted to drive to Hana, spend the night in Hana, then maybe hike the Pipiwai trail in the early morning, and then drive to the Kaanapali resort area where I have a condo already booked.

I was just curious about timing. I didn't know if it would be better to get out to Hana and do the Pipiwai trail and the Hana Highway in "reverse" or if I should just hold of and wait until another day in our trip...

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kahului airport to Hana

Hi.

You should make the drive comfortably in 3 hours if you leave the rental car pick up by 2:30PM. This assumes that there is no traffic backup caused by accident or weather. Both can seal off the Road to Hana and leave you sitting in a long lane of traffic for a long time. If you leave later than 2:30PM then you can experience true gridlock, Maui style, as everyone heads home.

This also assumes that you drive normally and don't stop along the way to take pictures or to sample banana bread.

Now you also ask...what time would I need to leave Hana to make it to Ka'anapali?

That depends. Make it by when?

If you want to check in by 4PM, I'd suggest that you leave Hana no later than noon.

Traffic in and around the Kahului can get weird as you get closer to 3PM and back up all the way to Ka'anapali. Best to get ahead of it, IMO.

Also, IMO, you don't want to rush either your journey to Hana or your return trip. Take your time and enjoy. It is a thrill of a lifetime.

Good luck.

mm98

minneapolis
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kahului airport to Hana

Pipiwai trail should be spectacular in the morning sun. Try the blue pool if it is a week day- also nice in the morning.

Best time for Hana!

5. Re: Kahului airport to Hana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:21